Bowl Scraper I've been working on

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Aderhammer

Just got the steel today. 3/8" thick, 1 1/4" wide, 14" inches from tip to start of tang. Made it out of A2 steel(man is this stuff hard!) It took me over an hour of grinding with a 36 grit wheel on a 3450 rpm bench grinder to get the tang to where it is now! Still have to make a handle for it, tested it on some end grain on a madrone "burl". Cuts like butter, almost no tearout which is very hard with this madrone.EDIT: was in a rush and forgot the pic[:I]
bobscall.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

markgum

if it took an hour to get the tang like that; how long did it take to grind the cutting edge?? (or is tang = cutting edge??)

DocStram

Originally posted by wdcav1952

Originally posted by markgum

if it took an hour to get the tang like that; how long did it take to grind the cutting edge?? (or is tang = cutting edge??)

The tang is the part of the blade that goes into the handle.

FWIW,

Cav is exactly correct except he forgot to mention that tang was first used by our early astronauts.

Andrew ... where did you get the steel from and how much did it cost????

JD Combs Sr

Did you purchase it already hardened? I found the same thing at McMaster-Carr but it is in an annealed state (soft).
I believe A2 "air hardens" if you have a way to get it up to the proper temperature. A little research would get the temperature.

Edit: oops forgot to look the origin date of the original post. :) Its only nearly a decade old lol. However, my statement still applies.

Last edited:

Skie_M

Getting that stuff in an annealed state would be very ideal ... annealed, it would be pretty soft and easy to work and drill. Then, you take it up to non-magnetic and let it air-cool to harden it ... the issue is that it's difficult to temper properly, as it's an air-hardening steel, so it may remain somewhat brittle and could break during use.

I was thinking about purchasing a thick piece of damascus steel at some point and working that into a tool, but I'm pretty sure carbide would last longer between sharpenings and be much easier to maintain. Of course, if you ever decide to try something like damascus steel for your tool steel, keep in mind that grain orientation is of vital importance. You don't want your layers delaminating as you work!

KenV

Search you tube for "Big Ugly Tool" for videos by Robo Hippy using Tantung steel silver soldered on a big bar.

No heat treat needed.

Top Bottom