Bowl gouge question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjackman

If you were going to have only one bowl gouge to start out with would you go for a 3/8 or a 1/2 inch one?
I turn on a Jet mini and a Rikon so most of what I plan to use it on now won't be too big. I just don't want to get one that's too big for most of my turnings, but still big enough to do what I need to.

Opinions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

If I can only have one, I will go with 1/2" but in your case (turning on mini) 3/8" will be more than sufficient IMHO.

BTW...there are 2 standards. English/British measurements are flute width and American is usually rod diameter. Usually 3/8" British = 1/2" American.[:0]

bjackman

Thanks Dario, that's exactly what I was thinking. Looking at P&N tools. I've had good experience with a tool I have from them now, and then I get to make my own handle too! [:)]
They are from Austrailia, but I'm pretty sure they go by the American style measurement.

vick

I agree 100% with Dario's accessment.

I have a P&N 3/8th and the one I got is from the American Standard. AS a note I like my Sorby 3/8th's better but the P&N is a very good value.

nurse42312

Bill,
Although I am fairly new to pen turning, I do 95% of my pen turning with a 3/4" roughing gouge. My lathe has a 24" bed, so I do have a bit of room to work with. I haven't ventured into fancy designs yet, but the roughing gouge does me fine.
Regards,

Mark.......

KenV

I like the P&N bowl gouges, but the ones I have are metric -- 6mm and 8mm diameter outside. Those are approximatly 1/4 and 3/8, sort of. They sharpen either as straight grind (such as for bowl bottoms) or with the side grind (Elsworth, Irish, Glaser, etc grind).

I really like Bob Sweazey's gouge for a side grind version. Great steel (M42 Cobalt High Speed Steel - really good stuff) and good finish. Comes with or without handles. http://www.sweazeytools.com/index.html

Dario

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />Don't bother. Bowl gouges are impossible to use. I know, I've tried. [;)] Seriously, they are hard to master and I haven't yet. As advised, don't go too large for a midi lathe.

Frank,

Using the bowl gouge is best learned with someone showing you or the next best thing, learn with a video.

I still have some cuts to learn myself! Best and last one that I learned (2 years ago) is the shearing cut to smooth out the surface outside the vessel. [^]

Russb

If you can check out the different sizes at your local store if you have one or ask another turner you might know and see what feels good in your hands. I would recommend the 3/8 for the size lathes you have but either will work. I don't know why Rifleman would say to avoid bowl gouges. He may need some tutoring. They are very versatile. The skew is my downfall. Everything from roughing cuts to finishing cuts with the same tool with a fingernail type grind. As with any tool I recommend joining a local chapter of the AAW. A great place to learn proper techniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom