Bow fishing...???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi folks...!

I wonder if are any IAP members that do bow-fishing...???

I just found out that this state is the only state in Australia that allows bow fishing on the carp and is plenty around here...!

I just need to ask a few questions to those experienced with it, I don't know if I can draw a bow at any sufficient weight for carp bowfishing/hunting and I will need to visit a bow shop to test if I can use one or not and at what weight.

I wouldn't mind to learn to use a bow and shoot some fish, I have pretty much done everything one can do with a "firearm" of any type but, I never shot a bow and seeing a few Youtube videos of you guys having some fun shooting these unwelcome fish, I develop some interest and would like at least to try.

One of the most important questions I have at the moment is, what type of bow is the easiest to draw and still have enough power for bowfishing within 10 to 15 yards (I think that would may be sufficient, not sure...!)

Another question is, what would be the best type reel top use...???

I may or may not ever own a bow or try it out, it all depends of what happen when I see a bow technician and try to draw, my back/shoulders/neck are pretty bad and some days unable to do much but there are days where I may could try, and my hands strength is not that good particularly since I had surgery on my Carpal Tunnels however, I've seen some people on a wheelchair shooting bows so, if I can handler a chainsaw ( well, I did, I haven't touched a chainsaw in months...!)

Anyway, I just decided to throw it out there and see if we have any bow fisherman on IAP...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

I don't know if the are legal by you, but there are some nice crossbows with setups for people that cannot pull a recurved or compound bow. They might be an option if you can use it.

Thanks for that...!

I don't have any restrictions/licences in regards of buying a bow/crossbow etc, its use is regulated and has to do more with safety issues than anything else however, in regards to using a bow for fishing here in South Australia, its OK if you fish/hunt on any of the river or creeks that are part of the Murray River, not not on the main river itself...!

it surprises me that, in a country with so restrictive gun laws that bows laws are so relaxed, the government may know something I don't...!:eek::biggrin:

Yes, crossbow is an option but, I would prefer to be able to use/learn to use a compound bow, that is what It fascinated with...!

Cheers
George

Jim Smith

I bow fished for carp a lot as a kid. I used a 45lb bow with a solid fiberglass arrow and the appropriate fishing point. The reel I used was a simple spool that attached to the bow, similar to this one at Cabelas.

PSE Kingfisher Bowfishing Package : Cabela's

Here's another website you can check out to get a better idea of what's available today. Bowfishing Extreme Home Page

Good luck and enjoy.

Jim Smith

bruce119

First thing you should be able to find a rang at a bow shop. There they will let you shot a bow and get a feel for it. Then when you get your bow set up a target and shot shot shot and shot some more. Your going to get sore after about the 3rd day of practice. Kind of like getting in shape throwing a ball day after day...

Then set a target in the water and practice you have to get used to refraction. The fish will appear much closer and larger depending on the depth. So you will have to aim before the target depending on the depth and angle. That is the real challenge getting a feeling for refraction...

The shop will help you with the real and so on it shouldn't cost much to get started.
Compound bows are easy to draw and hold. They have a lot of high tech stuff but start out simple. just get a simple pin sight and some practice arrows to get started...practice every day for 3 weeks to get into shape then get your real and practice again.

it's a lot of fun go for it...

Last edited:

Kenny Durrant

Bow fishing is a blast. You can pretty much use anything you can hunt with as long as the rest can support the arrow. The fishing gear is almost as diverse as the hunting. The only sure thing you need is a good fiberglass arrow and a bow that will shoot it well. I used a recurve but I know many people use different types of compounds. There are many different arrow points as well as reels. The first time a friend took me all I had was an old compound bow so he loaned me an arrow and I used a bean can taped to my bow for a spool. That was the start of my bow hunting days and I soon switched to a recurve with a spool that screwed into the riser on the bow. As mentioned earlier you do need to aim low. When you get a chance take a straight stick and point it at an angle in the water and it will look bent. Other than that all I can suggest is go and have fun. I always practiced while fishing.

Cloven

While I don't do bow fishing, I do some primitive archery. The easiest bow to draw relative to the arrow casting speed is a compound. If you're at all worried about the strain on your hands, then there is a kind of release like this, where it wraps around your wrist, so your wrist/forearm does the pulling, and you just have to pull a little trigger with your fingers to open the jaws and release the string.

SDB777

Use to run an archery shop in the central Arkansas area....I've moved on, but I bowhunt everything(figure it to be too easy to pull a trigger and I like the 'closeness' that is required).

That said, I often found people wanting to shoot too much draw weight at fish. They are not that touch or deep at night under the lights of a boat! I've taken fish cleanly with 15lbs, through the gill plates at that.

Best advise I can give....find someone that is already set-up to bowfish, go with them on an outing, and I'm betting they will let you take a few with their equipment ;)

Scott (try before you buy) B

StuartCovey

I do a lot of bow fishing in the spring for Long-Nosed Gar and Carp from a bridge that is probably about 20 yards from the water with great success.
I use an adjustable youth bow that is set on its highest which is 45 lb. I got this particular youth bow because of its size, it's pretty small so it's super easy to handle. Not sure exactly of the model, but they sell it at Cabelas and Academy for about $200 (not sure if you have any of those around you).

I use the AMS bow fishing real, a little expensive (about $100) but well worth it.
I'm also using a carbon fiber arrow with a specialized tip.

This set up works great with Long-Nosed Gar (which in case you didn't know, they have scales like armor :mad:) and I have even got a couple carp with it.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

stonepecker

Back in the mid 50's my father found a place where the carp were spawning. He hurried back to the cabin and got his .22 auto and a couple boxes of shells.
For the next 2 hours......he was "a killin' carp"......he hated them. Everytime dad pulled the trigger at least one carp died. The water was 'RED' by the time he was done.
The next day, at coffee, the local game warden and him met and my father asked if it was illegal to shoot carp. The game warden yelled "WAS THAT YOU????

Then he told my dad to not ever let him catch him doing that.
Dad never did let him catch him.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Yep, I bowfish. I have not had a chance to go a lot in the past few years while trying to build up my business. I have everything needed though. I have a boat set up just for bowfishing with plenty of lights. a generator for the lights as well as a converter hooked to the generator to run my 24 volt trolling motor so I don't have to mess with dead batteries. I also have 2 complete bow setup. Come on over for a visit and I will take you out! :)

I DO NOT recommend a bow with letoff. Both of my bowfishing bows are 40# zero letoff compound bows. The reason for no letoff is that you seldom get to full draw and a bow with letoff is designed to shoot from full draw. With bowfishing, there is a lot of quick shots at 1/2 draw or so. If the fishing is good, it is not uncommon to take a few hundred shots in one night. Even if you are good, you will miss frequently.

I hold (held) the bowfishing World Record for Plecostomus. I say hold/held because there was only one official bowfishing record keeping entity when I submitted my record and they have since gone away! I have yet to hear of anyone shooting one bigger. I even donated it to a university professor who studies this fish. It was the biggest by a long shot of any he had seen.

I also used to hold the Texas Parks and Wildlife state bowfishing record for Channel Catfish. I held it for a year and then someone beat me. Shortly after I was beat, they outlawed catfish for bowfishing!

It is a great way to spend an evening. Of course being a night owl, it fits me very well. One of the local lakes I frequent are full of Talapia and they are not native so they are legal to shoot. They are good eating too. The carp I shoot I grind up and use in my garden for fertilizer or give them away to some of the folks around here that like them.

Here is a pic of my record Pleco

Attachments

• Record Pleco.jpg
    Record Pleco.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 517

bloodhound

When i was in South Dakota. I was big into archery. My roommate and I started bow fishing carp. We both used recurves and a simple reel. My bow was only a 20lb draw bow. And that was plenty of poundage. I hunted with a 80lb compound, so i wasnt using that recurve do lack of strength. But it was plenty strong enough to do the job. And i could shoot it all day.

That being said, my best advice has already been given. But for a different reason. FIND A SHOP. And tell them you have never shot and if you have neck/shoulder issues. Let them know. Archery uses muscles you dont use much. And if you just grab a bow and draw it. You can pull things in your neck that will put you out of commission for awhile if the bow has too much poundage.

My two cents. And good luck.

Kenny Durrant

Curtis when I was reading your post and saw Plecostomus the first thing I thought of was the catfish we keep in our aquariums. Then I saw the picture and saw that it is the catfish we keep. I had one that grew to about 12 inches and thought he was big. Did you get him locally or elsewhere? It's a fun sport for those who get the chance I would recommend giving it a SHOT.

robutacion

Sorry folks for my silence, I have subscribed to the thread so that I would be notified by email when someone posted something, otherwise I would forget to look however, and after my last reply, I have received absolutely no notification of any replies so, I thought that, no one did reply and that, IAP maybe had no bow users and bowfishers but, I was obviously wrong...!

I appreciate all and every comment/suggestion, I have saw dozens of Youtube videos on bowfishing so, I was aware of the aiming low "thing", the number of times one may need to draw a bow, the "let off" situation and the number of misses, even the best make and is not difficult to see why, those fish can be fast and be a lot deeper than they seem.

One of the things that I get frustrated with, when watching these clips is, the amount of times the fish come off the arrow head, even if you haven't forget to tighten the tip, there has to be a arrow tip that works better that the normal ones I see all the time where you see a "V" wire attached to the arrow tip that you unscrew to rotate the wires forwards to get the fish out, how in the heck they get out so easily...?

One of the reason I asked for some extra advice in here, is due to the fact that, I don't have any proper bows shop within 80+km away from me, I would have to drive to the city of Adelaide to maybe find a gun shop that also sells bows and have a bow technician that can measure me up and tell me what I can use, without hurting myself anymore than what I have already.

So far, I learn that my draw length is 27" to 28" and that, I can't pull a 60# bow, it was one in a gun shop 30km from me, they didn't know much about bows but, the let me try to draw the one they had there (second hand).

I doubt that I can pull much more than #40 without causing me a lot of pain, with the #60 one I tried, I felt hurting half way through the draw, I was told that I was very, very close to full draw but, and as I tried to pull it all back, I got sharp pains hitting me hard, I knew that I couldn't let if off, as I would probably destroy the string and much more, that I knew so, I used everything I had left, to left it go forwards the slowest I could....!

I did explain my situation and my suspicions of not being able to pull too much weight, and even considering that #60 is nothing for some folks, when they saw my body weight and frame, they said that, I wouldn't have any problem drawing that bow but, I had my doubts.

I'm sure, they thought that I was joking or something but after they saw the struggle I had with the #60 one, they had no hesitation is recommending go to a place where they have bows set up very low, try them out and work my way up, until I feel comfortable with it.

So, my idea of getting a bow that I could do a bit of fishing and hunting (small game) may be out the door, my draw weight may be sufficient for most bowfishing situations but I doubt that I would to handle a bow that is also suitable for hunting, unless very short distances and small game, only...!

So, I need to go to Adelaide but, I'm waiting for when I will need to have some more tests done at the Adelaide hospital, I will then use that trip to get 2 birds with one stone...!:wink::biggrin:

Will see...!

PS: Hey Curtis, that is an ugly mother of a fish, you've got there...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

designer

Perhaps two bows then. A 20lb pull recurved for fishing and (I know you were not looking at one but) a cross bow. Some of the crossbows have cocking mechanisms that only take about 15 or 20 lbs to **** a heavy cross bow. I saw one a year or so ago that uses CO2 to **** it. Just push a button and it does it for you.

I had to give up my bows and move to a cross bow so I could continue to shoot and hunt. They don't have the range of an English Long Bow, but you can still shoot and enjoy without pain.

I wish you the best over coming your pain. Hopefully you will find a solution so you can enjoy a wonderful sport.

robutacion

Perhaps two bows then. A 20lb pull recurved for fishing and (I know you were not looking at one but) a cross bow. Some of the crossbows have cocking mechanisms that only take about 15 or 20 lbs to **** a heavy cross bow. I saw one a year or so ago that uses CO2 to **** it. Just push a button and it does it for you.

I had to give up my bows and move to a cross bow so I could continue to shoot and hunt. They don't have the range of an English Long Bow, but you can still shoot and enjoy without pain.

I wish you the best over coming your pain. Hopefully you will find a solution so you can enjoy a wonderful sport.

G'day mate,

Is interesting that you said that, as I realised that a crossbow with a mechanical drawing device, would certainly be good but, maybe a overkill for fishing, huh..???

I would have thought that, crossbows with draw weights up between 150 and 200 pounds, would be the longest reach arrow throwing tools, I don't know much about the English longbow but, I can't see how it could put an arrow further away than these powerful crossbows.

I never heard of those CO2 crossbows and I need to have a look and see what they are about, the use of CO2 would be and easy thing for me as I purchased a big bottle of CO2 gas bottle to fill my CO2 hammerli 850 magnum .177 air rifle so, and advantage on that regard...!

I know that, crossbows are always more expensive than bows, I have saw the average prices for units with the mechanical drawing devices and they are already very expensive for me so, I can only imagine how much one of those CO2 crossbows will cost, far too much for my capabilities I'm sure...!

Using arrows to hunt or fish is an interesting concept that I always had some fascination for however, I have dedicated a good portion of my life handling all types of firearms for hunting, animal control and target competitions. At the time, its was what I concentrated my attention to but, I never lost the interest for bows however, I never done anything about it until now.

As much as I love and have fun with my woods and equipment, I haven't been or done anything else for fun for over 10 years. I miss the excitement of the hunt and the camaraderie of a small group of mates, I would be happy to be able to entice my wife Merissa to learn archery and go out with me on a weekend every so often and do a little fishing or hunting, it would be good also for my 2 pet dogs...!

Will see what happens...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

When i was in South Dakota. I was big into archery. My roommate and I started bow fishing carp. We both used recurves and a simple reel. My bow was only a 20lb draw bow. And that was plenty of poundage. I hunted with a 80lb compound, so i wasnt using that recurve do lack of strength. But it was plenty strong enough to do the job. And i could shoot it all day.

That being said, my best advice has already been given. But for a different reason. FIND A SHOP. And tell them you have never shot and if you have neck/shoulder issues. Let them know. Archery uses muscles you dont use much. And if you just grab a bow and draw it. You can pull things in your neck that will put you out of commission for awhile if the bow has too much poundage.

My two cents. And good luck.

Yes mate, you are so right about "pulling/drawing" more than you should and I had a feeling that would happen and I would not have done it if there was a lower poundage bow in that shop.

It has been days since that happen, and I'm still having pains in my shoulders from that experience. What makes it all at lot worse is that, and like everything new we do, the muscles have never done that sort of movements and therefore, it should be worked out slowly and start low weight and increase as you go, that is what cause the shock I experienced...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

Yep, I bowfish. I have not had a chance to go a lot in the past few years while trying to build up my business. I have everything needed though. I have a boat set up just for bowfishing with plenty of lights. a generator for the lights as well as a converter hooked to the generator to run my 24 volt trolling motor so I don't have to mess with dead batteries. I also have 2 complete bow setup. Come on over for a visit and I will take you out! :)

I DO NOT recommend a bow with letoff. Both of my bowfishing bows are 40# zero letoff compound bows. The reason for no letoff is that you seldom get to full draw and a bow with letoff is designed to shoot from full draw. With bowfishing, there is a lot of quick shots at 1/2 draw or so. If the fishing is good, it is not uncommon to take a few hundred shots in one night. Even if you are good, you will miss frequently.

I hold (held) the bowfishing World Record for Plecostomus. I say hold/held because there was only one official bowfishing record keeping entity when I submitted my record and they have since gone away! I have yet to hear of anyone shooting one bigger. I even donated it to a university professor who studies this fish. It was the biggest by a long shot of any he had seen.

I also used to hold the Texas Parks and Wildlife state bowfishing record for Channel Catfish. I held it for a year and then someone beat me. Shortly after I was beat, they outlawed catfish for bowfishing!

It is a great way to spend an evening. Of course being a night owl, it fits me very well. One of the local lakes I frequent are full of Talapia and they are not native so they are legal to shoot. They are good eating too. The carp I shoot I grind up and use in my garden for fertilizer or give them away to some of the folks around here that like them.

Here is a pic of my record Pleco

Hi Curtis,

I'm pleased but not that surprised that how have all the gear and done a lot of bowfishing before.

I've seen lots of Youtube videos about guys and gals from your neck of the woods going hard on those carp, day and night. The set up for night shooting is really impressive and some how, easier to spot the fish than many times in day light.

I never heard and I really don't think that, we in Australia have that much troubles with the Asian carp and others, as you guys in the USA, I wouldn't like to be in a boat going at high speed and get one of those damn big carps flying and hit me in the head, its fun to watch other being knocked out that way, though...!:biggrin:

I hope you can relax a little from the efforts you have been putting into your new business, and find a little time to go back to some bowfishing and have some fun, again. We all need a bit of that, every so often, huh...???

Cheers
George

designer

I will explain the difference between the long bow and a cross bow in my own words. Anything incorrect, someone please correct me.

Long bows have long limbs. Cross bows short limbs. Long bows have long arrows and cross bows have short bolts.

The longer the limbs on the bow the more energy they can store and transmit to the arrow or bolt. The longer limbs also have a longer period of time to transmit that energy to the arrow.

The longer the arrow, the more energy they can absorb and store and use at impact. A cross bow with a 13 or 14" power stroke just cannot compete with a long bow with for the added energy transmitted.

Now throw in the (generally) lighter weight cross bow bolt compared to a long bow and you cannot store the same amount of energy..Fast on release but faster to loose that little energy. That means shorter range and faster loss of impact force. At 80 feet or 24 meters, I have had arrows go completely thru a deer. Not the best shot I admit.

Anyway, I hope this helps you out. May prompt some questions for you to ask the professionals when you get to the store.

robutacion

True. In the end a rod and reel might be the best way for George to fish, With his luck he will just snag logs to make into pen blanks and the like. :rolleyes:

Bugger, I didn't know about the restrictions on crossbows and that takes me back to the bow and arrow solution...!

Rod and reel and carp...??? what is the fun in that...???

With my luck, I wouldn't be hitting any usable/recoverable wood, I will be hitting the "snags" as we call them here and loose the arrows, most times you have a full tree under water and chainsaws don't work that well, under water, huh...???:eek::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Curly

You can get both air and hydraulic underwater chainsaws in a considerable range of sizes. Have a search and see. :) So if you do find an underwater tree, log, or forest, you'll be ready. ;)

designer

Naw, don't take your electric chain saw with you. That would not be good on the heart underwater. Snorkel on the gas chain saw?

You can always get a small inflatable boat and a light action rod. Let the carp pull you around the water for a while.

robutacion

You can get both air and hydraulic underwater chainsaws in a considerable range of sizes. Have a search and see. :) So if you do find an underwater tree, log, or forest, you'll be ready. ;)

Ok so, I will need an oil driven chainsaw, a boat with an hydraulic pump, about 30 meters of high pressure oil hoses, diving equipment and other few odds and ends, that would cost something like 200G's so, at what price would I have to charge per pen blank just to cover for my troubles...???:eek::wink::biggrin:

I already have enough trouble breathing out of the water, image how it would be under water...?:eek::frown:

I stick to dry land, thanks...!

We have to go soon to the city of Adelaide for some more tests so, I will visit a bow shop on that day and see what they say...!

If everything fails, I can always get close to the water and shoot my 6mmBR (243 short), if the fish in on the surface, it will blow them to threads, I only need then, a large scoop to get the minz fish out of the water, if it is going to be used and fertilizer, that will make the process quicker, huh...???:wink::biggrin:

It seems that Merissa is also getting a bit excited about this, she really like the bowfishing videos, she saw lots of "girls" doing it so she know that is not a "man" thing, only, and even if it was, she wouldn't give a rats A$$, she was a farm girl...!:)

The problem is, she is left hand while I'm right hand, that can be a problem...!

Cheers
George

designer

@ $6 a blank, with a 5 year payback....something like 6,666 more blanks a year not including your normal costs. What the hey. Nice target for me to suggest for you. Especially when I am half way around the world from you. LOL

You could always just blow them out of the water. Some pieces might be about right for pen blanks. Others, well that depends on your demolition abilities.

vtgaryw

Here in Vermont, we have a season where we can shoot fish in addition to taking them by bow and arrow. Any other states in the US do this?

-gary

Top Bottom