Bottle stoppers from whisky cask staves

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Carl Fisher

Carl Fisher

I'm working with a furniture designer who exclusively designs and builds furniture from big brand name whisky and wine casks. He dropped me off a bag of stave cutoffs to see what we could come up with to offer in his product line.

These are some samples that I was playing around with. The original inspiration piece was a JD cork stopper that is the same diameter as the 2 flat ones pictured but a little thinner. The cask one was an idea on how to make larger stoppers from laminating sections of staves together to make something usable and aesthetically pleasing.

The blackened sections are the charring from the inside of the casks. I tried to keep at least a little of that in tact for authenticity.

Right now they are all paired up with Ruth Niles stainless stoppers but I also have a pack of high density corks on the way to try a few lower price point versions.

The shop now smells like someone spilled a bottle of JD :eek::biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_1213.jpg
    IMG_1213.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_1214.jpg
    IMG_1214.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1215.jpg
    IMG_1215.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_1216.jpg
    IMG_1216.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_1217.jpg
    IMG_1217.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_1218.jpg
    IMG_1218.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1219.jpg
    IMG_1219.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1222.jpg
    IMG_1222.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_1223.jpg
    IMG_1223.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 169
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russknan

Nice! I'm thinking you should buy a FULL keg of JD, and drink your way down to the wood. Since you're selling the stoppers, I'm sure that would make the whole thing tax deductible, right? If you need help in getting to the staves more quickly, feel free to invite me over! Russ

healeydays

I like them. I think you might have a winner. How a design of a miniature bung plug spigot? Maybe even make one that could be a pourer?

p.s. It's ok to take the design idea and run with it. Just send me a finished one... :):drink:

Last edited:

longbeard

Nice! I'm thinking you should buy a FULL keg of JD, and drink your way down to the wood. Since you're selling the stoppers, I'm sure that would make the whole thing tax deductible, right? If you need help in getting to the staves more quickly, feel free to invite me over! Russ

Hey, can i come over and help too?:rolleyes::biggrin:

Those look very nice. I like the shapes and sizes.

walshjp17

Excellent, Carl. I have a lot of JD and single Malt Scotch Blanks and I plan to sip ... er .... zip:wink: through a few pens shortly.

Like the barrel stopper. I may have to try something similar.

Top Bottom