Bottle Stopper supplies

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

refueler1

Hello, was wondering if someone could give me a list of what I would need to start turning bottle stoppers along with where to purchase the items needed. I already have a Jet 1220 VS and have only made pens up till now. I alson have the PSI collet chuck, a Oneway Talon scroll chuck an Nova live center, a Jacobs type drill chuck and turning tools. From what I gather I need a stopper mandrel and some blanks. I now there are several different types of stopper mandrels and was wondering which one I should start with? Also, can anyone suggest how to dye wood? I like the looks of the dyed bottle stoppers.

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

In addition to the great stuff that Ruth (torne-lignum) has, PSI, CSUSA, AS, etc. also sell stopper mandrels. Most of these are interchangeable, as far as I know, although the stud on the CSUSA stopper bases is a little smaller (diameter) than the rest.

-Barry

Whaler

I have found that I like PSI best for stopper supplies. Their stopper mandrel is great, a very good selection of stopper kits and blanks.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Chuck a piece of scrapwood (1.5x1.5" ish by about 2" long) in your scroll chuck. Turn the end to fit the hole (I use 5/16") you make in your blank. AFTER the stopper is turned, make your hole fit the stopper you have chosen. (Redrill and tap if necessary)

You can make MANY of these, for all your projects and save LOTS of freight, shipping mandrels.

jleiwig

Chuck a piece of scrapwood (1.5x1.5" ish by about 2" long) in your scroll chuck. Turn the end to fit the hole (I use 5/16") you make in your blank. AFTER the stopper is turned, make your hole fit the stopper you have chosen. (Redrill and tap if necessary)

You can make MANY of these, for all your projects and save LOTS of freight, shipping mandrels.

Or for about $1.00.....
bottle_stoppe_rmandrel.jpg

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
That's a great alternative, Justin.

I have never had good luck with threads on things I turn. But, it IS an accepted way of doing it -- so to each his own!!!!

Cheap, too!!!

refueler1

I have found that I like PSI best for stopper supplies. Their stopper mandrel is great, a very good selection of stopper kits and blanks.

I did look at the PSI mandrel that screw on to your lathe spindle. Do you think it is a better option than using one of the others?

refueler1

You wouldn't by chance have a photo of what you are talking about? Sorry, Im new to all this turning stuff.

JimMc7

Ruth Niles

Ruth or Bill ?? Not familiar with them.

Ruth Niles -- from the web site (torne-lignum) posted by Justin earlier. I got her introductory kit (mandrel, drill bit, 10 stainless stoppers for ~$85), used the instructions on her web site and very satisfied.

Last edited:

justaccord

Bill

is Bill Baumbeck, arizonasilhouette.com. I would stick with Ruth or Bill for high quality stainless.

For videos, tutorials, try Ed Davidson's web site at yoyospin.com.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Andrew,

When I was young and foolish, I used to turn that way, too. (with threaded mandrel)

Can't tell you how many flew off the lathe. Now, I know how to sharpen my tools, that probably wouldn't happen, but I still remember it.

Moral: IF you have sharp tools, you are CUTTING the blanks. I frequently bludgeoned them, instead. YMMV

refueler1

No, no problems whatsoever- the wood I turn is usually hard enough that it's going to hold...only problem that I had was turning cedar, but it's ridiculously soft..

Which mandrel do you have the one on Ruth's site? I was looking at maybe getting the PSI mandrel because it screws on to your spindle.

randyrls

One caution on the bottle stoppers from AS and Ruth. Although they have the same thread, they are NOT the same diameter where the metal part of the stopper meets the wood!

I got some from a Group buy some time ago and Ruth's SS stoppers are smaller than the SS from AS.

Hope this helps....

Top Bottom