bottle stopper instructions problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm getting ready to make six of the PSI silicone bottle stoppers from kit #BS5.
The instructions say to drill a 23/64"X3/4" hole into the blank to accept the lathe chuck which is screwed on to the blank for turning.
I opted to glue the stepped dowel directly into the blank, chuck it up in my mini, turn, put on the silly-cone part and 'voila' finished stopper.
Didn't work out.
The small part of the dowel that is supposed to go into the blank is actually 13/32" in diameter.
I understand the smaller 23/64" is designed to allow the lathe chuck to screw into the hole and grip firmly for turning.
But, even then the hole would be too small to accept a 13/32" dowel. Wat were they thinking?
I'll now have to redrill sixteen blanks. (yes, there are ten sets to a kit, I made extra blanks)
Not the first time I have encountered differences between small project kit instructions and real life.
Mebbe someday I'll larn to test and experiment before plunging in. Only saving grace is the wood for the blanks was all scrap.
Might still be scrap after I finish.

Top Bottom