Bottle stopper blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Neededwill

Ok so I ordered 12 stabilized spalted maple burl bottle stopper blanks from psi. Well I turned one and when cleaning up the shavings I got a shocked twice when using my vac. I have used my vac setup for 2 years now and this has never happened. The only difference is I have never turned stabilized wood and a dyed wood before so that is all I can related this too. Bad part is I have a defribullator and pace maker so that kind of shock is not a good thing that I want to play with. So I must trade them or sell them and I will not buy stabilized or dyed wood again.

The bottle stoppers are: 6pc Combo Stabilized Spalted Maple Burl Bottle Stoppers at Penn State Industries

So if you are interested in a trade or just buying 11 of them for what I paid for one set please contact me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Just a thought... May have nothing to do with the blanks, but a static build-up triggered by the vac???

I'm NOT an electrician!!! I posted a thread a week ago about installing a dust collection system, and some comments (very helpful by the way) recommended I investigate installing a grounding wire system in the ducts.

Just something to consider.

Neededwill

I am puzzled also, I just know that the resin and dye was the only thing different. But better safe than sorry.

Wyone you can have all 11 for the price of one set of 6 that I bought. They are on sale now at psi for $29 and some change for a set of 6. So just give me $35 and that will cover the 11 blanks plus shipping.

Let me know.

wyone

is the humidity different?? a different hose??? I am leaning towards static being the issue, and while I do not know what you have for a system, you said you have used it for 2 years without issue. I am still having issues with it being directly related to the blanks. I of course would like the blanks, but am concerned way more about finding what the issue is for sure for your safety.

Do you have GFCI protection on your tools? I am a believer in them, even though they can be a pain at times. Are all of your tools grounded? I looked at the humidity in the area and it says it is like 98% in Baltimore, not sure what it is where you are. Between the humidity and the vacuum, I am thinking it is not the blanks that created the issue, but that is just my opinion

Neededwill

Well I use a normal house vac system only to vacuum up the shavings, so it's grounded through the house. Now with the weather being near 50 at the end of December that could be a sign. But I did a bottle stopper yesterday and cleaned up in which got the couple shocks. So today I turned four pens and used the same vacuum and nothing happened.

So I am not sure but I think my safety is good just a weird happening. But would rather get rid of the only thing that was different in my past 2 years. It was a good try with the resin dyed blanks but will stick to regular wood like slippery elm or red cedar for my stoppers.

wyone

I am waiting to hear one of the people who use resin all the time, or make resin blanks chime in with any experiences. Or anyone who stabilizes or uses stabilized blanks

Last edited:

1080Wayne

I think your analysis of the cause of the problem is correct . Many plastics hold a static charge pretty well . The stabilized blanks are probably impregnated with an acrylic , possibly at a level which allows charge buildup at close to the same amount it would if turning solid plastic . Air is drier at this time of the year , which allows for greater static buildup . The suggestion for additional grounding is a good one .

scroller99

I know that in the winter I wore heavy felt lined boots and used to get the shock of my life when I wore them turning. lesson learned, stopped wearing the boots no more shock. I know it sounds crazy but it happenned

Top Bottom