Botanicals - Casting and Turning Fun

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lathemaster

So looking around for something different to cast I thought I would try some botanicals that are often found in potpourri and decorating. I settled on three (3) different varieties each with some different characteristics; Chamomile Flowers, Lavender and Buckwheat.

Figuring out PR ratios, colors and blending was interesting. As I turned some samples, I found that, of course, the resin didn't completely penetrate the lavender and the chamomile and the Buckwheat tended to chip out a bit. By using sharp tools, patience, light cuts and thin CA glue, I think the initial set turned out pretty well.

Attached are a few shots of the chamomile and the lavender results both sample are on a Vertex Click in Gunmetal. Somehow I must have forgotten to take photos of the Buckwheat.

Thanks for looking
Mike

Attachments

• Camomelle_Pen_Blanks-Etsy.jpg
    Camomelle_Pen_Blanks-Etsy.jpg
    810.2 KB · Views: 372
  • Camomelle_Pen_CloseUp-Etsy.jpg
    Camomelle_Pen_CloseUp-Etsy.jpg
    706.8 KB · Views: 347
  • Camomelle_Pen_Full-Etsy.jpg
    Camomelle_Pen_Full-Etsy.jpg
    805.5 KB · Views: 270
  • Lavender Botanical-1-Medium.jpg
    Lavender Botanical-1-Medium.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 364
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scjohnson243

So looking around for something different to cast I thought I would try some botanicals that are often found in potpourri and decorating. I settled on three (3) different varieties each with some different characteristics; Chamomile Flowers, Lavender and Buckwheat.

Figuring out PR ratios, colors and blending was interesting. As I turned some samples, I found that, of course, the resin didn't completely penetrate the lavender and the chamomile and the Buckwheat tended to chip out a bit. By using sharp tools, patience, light cuts and thin CA glue, I think the initial set turned out pretty well.

Attached are a few shots of the chamomile and the lavender results both sample are on a Vertex Click in Gunmetal. Somehow I must have forgotten to take photos of the Buckwheat.

Thanks for looking
Mike

Those look great, I really like the lavender one! I would have thought you would have had to harden them first somehow to get a good turn, but obviously it worked out great for you!

Jim Burr

Banned
Well done Mike!! I was attempting to cast some spent grain from a batch of beer I brewed a few months ago...epic fail!!
Any tips on coloring the batch?

Lathemaster

Well done Mike!! I was attempting to cast some spent grain from a batch of beer I brewed a few months ago...epic fail!!
Any tips on coloring the batch?

In both examples I added color to the PR then mixed in the botanical. For Chamomile the PR was a light yellow and the tube was painted with a metallic spray paint for Krylon. The Lavender PR was dyed with violet pigment. Needs to be more transparent IMO.

As with any casting made sure the botanicals were very dry prior to casting.

Cheers
Mike

Smokey7385

Hi Mike, couple questions. 1) where did you get the botanicals, craft store like Hobby Lobby or Michaels? 2) what dyes did you use?

Rusty

Top Bottom