Bondo fiberglass resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

79spitfire

Hey all,

Has anyone else tried the bondo brand liquid fiberglass resin?

It was inexpensive at Lowes. It´s a polyester resin type product but does not seem to have as much of an overpowering smell. It is also not clear, it´s more the color of honey, so whatever color you use has to overcome that base color. It also sets in colder temperatures and seems to turn just fine.

:confused:

Any drawbacks you can think of? I know WatchArt used some to make homemade Micarta for pen blanks at one time.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Beasley

My son played with it for a while, it worked fine for practice and honing your skills but that amber color was a turn off. Try it, then get you some polyresin from Hobby Lobby and try it. You will quickly be looking for it from cheaper sources so you cab play more. Wood N Whimseys had it for half what you would pay at a hobby store.

ofd8001

I've started casting recently and have become smitten with it. Not only have I made some pen blanks, I've also done some Christmas tree ornaments using ice cube molds.

At any rate, I've been watching prices. Usually Hobby Lobby or Michaels will have 40 or 50% off one item coupons in the newspaper.

Locally Hobby Lobby has the 16 ounce Casting Craft resin including the catalyst. Michael's has the 32 ounce but you have to buy the catalyst separate.

US Composites sells the Silmar 41 which is less costly if the shipping time isn't an issue.

Polyester Resins

79spitfire

I have plenty of sources for clear casting resin. The bondo stuff has a colder set temperature, and does look great with opaque pigments (except white..)

And it's less than $20 a quart, for those times I don't want to hunt down a coupon from Michael's....

loydstuts

I've started casting recently and have become smitten with it. Not only have I made some pen blanks, I've also done some Christmas tree ornaments using ice cube molds.

At any rate, I've been watching prices. Usually Hobby Lobby or Michaels will have 40 or 50% off one item coupons in the newspaper.

Locally Hobby Lobby has the 16 ounce Casting Craft resin including the catalyst. Michael's has the 32 ounce but you have to buy the catalyst separate.

US Composites sells the Silmar 41 which is less costly if the shipping time isn't an issue.

Polyester Resins

If you go to the Hobby Lobby website, you can get the 40% coupon which they will ho or. Be blessed.

Top Bottom