Bocote and Malachite Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Another pen I was working on and finally took some time to make a picture of it. The pen kit is an El Grande fountain pen purchased at Lee Valley. The blank is a bocote. I turned it as a solid end pen, using a pen mandrel from William Woodwrite.
IMG_8643.jpg

I like the string wood grain in this blank, I added a 10 mm malachite cabochon for a finished detail
IMG_8645.jpg

The finish is sanding to 400 then Mylands friction polish then microcrystalline wax for a final polish.
IMG_8647.jpg

I have been enjoying seeing others here make this same kind of pen, here is my version.

All critiques are welcomed:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

Jim I really like the shape of this pen, open, closed it is IMO missing something. I love the shape of the barrel, but the cap is....well I can't really say what it needs shapwise. Not to take away from the workmanship. That's outstanding! As Cav said the cabochon is stunning!

Originally posted by mick
<br />Jim I really like the shape of this pen, open, closed it is IMO missing something. I love the shape of the barrel, but the cap is....well I can't really say what it needs shapwise. Not to take away from the workmanship. That's outstanding! As Cav said the cabochon is stunning!

I agree with you!.....I struggle with the HW and the look of the cap shape. I usually turn the cap first then blend the pen body afterwards....I think the HW design is constricting...

Thanks for your feedback

LanceD

Now your talking Jim. That's the shape I always strive for in a closed end design. I have the closed end mandrel for the El Grande and only made one but the shape of an El Grande seems to look better in a square or b to b profile. I think it has something to do with the cap and the wide centerband and finial.

Originally posted by jkirkb94
<br />Jim the malachite was a great addition to the pen! It really compliments it. Kirk[8D]

Thanks Kirk,

I like it too, maybe better alignment of the wood grain with the lineage of the malachite would have made it better,

I had a few emails asking for a better shot of the end of the pen, so I thought I'd post the picture here.[:)]

cropped.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom