Bobbin drives in the United States?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DaveM

I am looking for a bobbin drive. I can find them from the U.K., but not over here. I am not the greatest at doing international payments and shipping. If I have to I will order from overseas, but I would like to find one Stateside if I can. CSUSA doesn't get any hits in their search for the item. (They seem to be the most likely to have it) Rockler, Woodcraft, Packard, PSI, Highland and Hut don't list one. Are there any other places I haven't thought of? I would be using it mostly for lace bobbins, but also for turning some dip pens. (I guess that makes it okay to ask here) Anybody here turn bobbins? I am also planning on getting the Springett book and video. Are they any good?

I found a live center system that has a reverse cone that takes bobbins, but I am looking for the square type if possible. (Besides, it's impossible to turn something by driving it with a live center.

Thank you very much,
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DaveM

Might also be called a bobbin chuck. Looks like the one TomW just posted above. A drive center with a 1/2" square hole in it. (Slightly tapered) for putting 1/2" square stock for making lace bobbins and other small items. (Crochet hooks, small knitting needles, long, skinny dip pens, etc...)

I usually use a 4 jaw chuck. I could probably use a collet chuck too, but the simplicity and tradition of the real thing keep calling out to me. (Although if I get too carried away with the tradition bit, I will end up on a foot powered bow spring lathe turning bone bobbins)

Thanks again. I may just have to see if any of the U.K companies deliver here.

PenPal

Dave

I have no way of knowing your lathe, circumstances and anyway I live in Australia so far away however I found an answer that would fully please me.

Go Google Woodenpost.com look at their Barracuda lathe chuck Package.
This chuck comes with three sets of jaws, adapters to fit 3/4 inch, 16 tpi, 1x8 tpi shafts.
The small pin jaws would be ideal for square sticks or whatever shape with four jaws you can handle any shape easily. now in my country the price of 139.95 sounds cheap.

My suggestion is use something that holds lots of things for versatility. certainly guys over here do use such chucks for Lace Bobbin and hair sticks etc. Also have a look at hair stick makers and suppliers who have your original thought of a small metal drive for square sticks.

Have success, I belong to a Wood Guild that meets next Wednesday Thursday at your area and I have a friend who has made thousands of bobbins I can put you in touch with for further assistance.

Have success Peter.

titan2

Nope, I don't believe that's what he's looking for.

The first link is what he's after. Bobbin turners usually make their own from wood......creating the taper they need.

You can usually use anything that would turn a solid pen blank, be it a scroll chuch, collet chuch (blank turned round first) or even a drive/stebb center with a live center on the tail stock.

Barney

titan2

I am looking for a bobbin drive. I can find them from the U.K., but not over here. I am not the greatest at doing international payments and shipping. If I have to I will order from overseas, but I would like to find one Stateside if I can. CSUSA doesn't get any hits in their search for the item. (They seem to be the most likely to have it) Rockler, Woodcraft, Packard, PSI, Highland and Hut don't list one. Are there any other places I haven't thought of? I would be using it mostly for lace bobbins, but also for turning some dip pens. (I guess that makes it okay to ask here) Anybody here turn bobbins? I am also planning on getting the Springett book and video. Are they any good?

I found a live center system that has a reverse cone that takes bobbins, but I am looking for the square type if possible. (Besides, it's impossible to turn something by driving it with a live center.

Thank you very much,
Dave

I have the 'Springett' book.....it's very good and quite detailed. Goes in to great detail about all the different types of bobbins and how to make a good number of them.......even bone. Don't know if I'd want to get in to making the highly decorated ones. Bobbins are something that I'm very interested in and have been reseaching them for quite some time. I have found a number of resources and I am getting things ready to do them. I have bought quite a few for my wife.......even some vintage/antique ones that are over 150 years old....those are so cool. I've bought her a lace pillow for making the lace, lace pattern books and such and even got her a lace pillow stand for placing the lace pillow while she makes the lace. I'll be making her another one that will be much better designed and with better looking wood. May even make some to sell once I get it all down, production wise!

Didn't know (or don't remember) 'Springett' having a DVD on bobbin making. Where did you see that? I might be interested in getting one for myself.

Ask away if you have any other questions. I see what I can come up with as I have been researching lace bobbins for awhile and acquiring a good bit of info on them.

Barney

jthompson1995

I could see frankensteining one yourself. Use a drill chuck in the headstock with a hex adapter for sockets chucked into it and an appropriate sizes socket (probably the 12 point would be best with square stock) on it. You may already have the tools.

titan2

I have no way of knowing your lathe, circumstances and anyway I live in Australia so far away however I found an answer that would fully please me.

Go Google Woodenpost.com look at their Barracuda lathe chuck Package.
This chuck comes with three sets of jaws, adapters to fit 3/4 inch, 16 tpi, 1x8 tpi shafts.
The small pin jaws would be ideal for square sticks or whatever shape with four jaws you can handle any shape easily. now in my country the price of 139.95 sounds cheap.

My suggestion is use something that holds lots of things for versatility. certainly guys over here do use such chucks for Lace Bobbin and hair sticks etc. Also have a look at hair stick makers and suppliers who have your original thought of a small metal drive for square sticks.

Have success, I belong to a Wood Guild that meets next Wednesday Thursday at your area and I have a friend who has made thousands of bobbins I can put you in touch with for further assistance.

Have success Peter.

I would love to be able to get in touch with your friend sometime in the future on the subject of lace bobbins! It'd be great to have a resource like that!

THANKS,

Barney

dgscott

Wow. I haven't heard of anyone looking for lace bobbins for years. I used to make bobbin lace (was taught by an elderly Mennonite lady), and still have a bunch of old bobbins I collected when I was over in England. It used to be a tremendous cottage industry here in the US -- women would make bobbin lace by the yard at home and sell it to companies who would set them up with a pillow (bolster) as well as bobbins, prickings, and thread.

Like tatting (I still do that from time to time, like lots of really manly men), it has gone the way of lots of old handcrafts.

While we're at it, Samuel Johnson once said that there were two things of which a gentleman could never have enough -- the Greek language and lace.

Doug

DaveM

Thanks everybody,

Peter, I have a Talon chuck with the pin jaws. That's what I use now. I was just watching Alan Lacer turn one, and thinking that the old school low tech version looked simpler for using with prepared stock. It would be really great to take it up to my cabin and go out to my little lathe in the shed and just turn bobbin after bobbin. (I would have to cut and square up the stock before though as I have very limited hand tools and power tools up there.)

The one that was shown is what I am looking for. I may just have to order from overseas. I should be able to do that without problems. I bought stamps from the U.K. before.

The spinning bobbin looks like something from textile making? I also noticed the minimum order is 100... If I end up buying another 90 or so cottages, I will look at that!

I have actually used a 1/2" socket drive in a chuck, but without the taper it is fairly wobbly to use. (And you can still catch on the chuck jaws if you lose your concentration for half a second)

I appreciate all of the offers of advice from other bobbin turners. I have made a few pairs, but now some lacing ladies have gotten a hold on me and they want a bunch more. I looked at all of the interesting old ones, and thought it looks like a fun side project for a turner. I already do some whorls and other spinning and knitting items. The lace stuff looks interesting too. I will probably have a million or more questions in the next few weeks as I try more daring things with bobbin turning. Right now, I am just happy to get a basic Midlands style bobbin off the lathe without snapping it off at the thin spot! (Practice makes perfect. I made several pair last week and the last pair came out a lot better than the first)

http://www.vansciverbobbinlace.com/Springett Videos.html

the dvd is about halfway down the page. There is also a spangling video. Cathie will buy me the videos if I promise her a dozen pairs of nice fancy bobbins.

Again, Thanks to everybody here for the advice. I will probably try to spin a couple more tonight and then start asking questions.

Dave

titan2

I'll have to show my wife the list of DVDs for making bobbin lace.

Looks like a few will be making their way into my library.

Nice to see there're others here that are interested in making lace bobbins.

I have posted pictures of some of the antique bobbins that I have.....will have to post some when I get around to (time) to turning some.

Post some PICs of yours.......would love to see!

Barney

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I tend to make my own specialty chucks like this. It is not hard to turn a morse taper on some scrap hardwood.

Start off with some 2"x2"x5" hardwood and turn between centers.

Turn it round

Use a parting tool to get one end just a tad over 0.600"

Measure 2" over and part down to a tad over 0.700" and maintain this out to around 2 1/4"

At the midpoint part down to a tad over 0.650"

Now using a skew or roughing gouge turn a taper that follows these marks.

Snug it down to a taper of 0.600" to 0.700" over 2" and using sandpaper over a board, remove any ripples in the taper.

Insert in headstock and give a few jiggles and twists to see how well you did. If loose pull it out and you will see some marks where it rubbed. Gently shave these spots, rinse and repeat.

Rather quickly you will have a solid MT2.

Now, using a Forstner bit of the proper diameter in your tail stock and your new drive center in your headstock, drill a hole maybe 1/2" deep.

Using a standard chisel square this hole and you have a home made bobbin drive

Last edited:

Randy_

Eric beat me to it!! I, also, was going to suggest making your own chuck.

I would comment that it might be a good idea to add a metal ferrule to the chuck to add some strength and protect against the possibility of the chuck splitting.

Top Bottom