Blue Mangrove

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hughbie

i just found a couple of sticks of blue mangrove in my 'stash'.
what kind of wood is it? i've never seen anything like this and it seems very soft.....
any opinions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

roddesigner

Bruce 119 sold some of that very nice and easy to turn the color is more evident in some pieces then others I have sold a few pens with it rather unusual wood, hopefully Bruce will chime in regarding it

djz9

I picked up a bunch from Bruce, he is down the road from me and a real nice guy,they have a very nice color and finish nice. The only thing you have to make sure is to use a mask. I forgot to and really felt bad that nght and the next day, and that was the only wood I had used that day. Almost like the flu.

VisExp

Hugh, I got some from Bruce a while back. I think it was driftwood that he got out of the mangrove swamps here in Florida. It cut and turned very nice. Here is the pen I made from it.

1_ACT_678702.jpg

guts

I was supposed to get some in a trade but never recieved it so I don't know what it looks like or where it comes from,hope you find out.

joeatact

Its black mangrove on the endangered list here in Florida. Can only be obtained as driftwood. Bruce sent me some real nice blue color wood turns nice and is apealing.

bruce119

Yes it is Black Mangrove and it is very protected endangered species. I collect it as driftwood. You can not cut it dead or alive you can't even trim it on your own property if you live on the coast. Here is a picture of some. The blue color is rear indeed it is a nice hard wood and turns very nice stinks a little like marsh. Then again it was lying in the marsh for about 40 years.
001.jpg

Thanks
Bruce

bruce119

IIRC, you got that black mangrove from me at the IAP picnic last summer Hugh.

Hey Mike were did you pick up the Mangrove. I never saw it offered It's quite rare and very protected. I do have some and I may offer some up here for some of our fellow turners.

Bruce

MikeInMo

Hey Mike were did you pick up the Mangrove. I never saw it offered It's quite rare and very protected. I do have some and I may offer some up here for some of our fellow turners.

Bruce

I bought some from someone in FL who claimed he collected it as storm damage wood. I really didn't know anything about it when I got it. It has a subtle purple hue. Some pieces have light spalt-like lines. I have a few blanks left.

Lulanrt

Bruce,
I have some 10,000 year old bog oak and hickory that was recovered from a pond excvation in WV. Would you like to trade some blue mangrove? I would be willing to trade blank for blank. Let me know thanks
Travis

jyreene

Hugh, I got some from Bruce a while back. I think it was driftwood that he got out of the mangrove swamps here in Florida. It cut and turned very nice. Here is the pen I made from it.

Keith - That is a beautiful pen. How were you able to make such a nice and continuous wave pattern?

VisExp

Keith - That is a beautiful pen. How were you able to make such a nice and continuous wave pattern?

Thank you Ty. I make the cuts on my scroll saw. It is actually not a continuous wave. There are a total of 24 cuts. I do three cuts, then a glue up and repeat that process eight times.

I just finished a similar blank yesterday. I hope to drill and turn it in the next couple of days.

Top Bottom