Blue Mahoe Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I finally bought a blue mahoe board and it indeed does have a blue tint to the wood. I cut some of it up into pen blanks and the freshly cut areas are not really blue-ish like the exposed areas are. Does anybody know, is this like purpleheart in that it has to be exposed for x amount of time before the color develops? If so, about how long does it take and are there ways to speed up the process?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobskio2003

I don't know for sure but I think blue Mahoe is more like cherry than purpleheart, meaning that it takes time for it to gain its color. I believe if you leave the blanks out in the sunlight they'll change color slowly but the challenge is noticing that color change. Sorry I couldn't be much more help. Bob I.

Woodlvr

Try pm'ing Tuba707 here on the forum, as he used to sell it and he may be able to tell us more. I have some blanks that I was thinking about turning soon and was wondering the same question about color. I hope that this helps.

workinforwood

The heart wood will blue more as it oxidizes. The sap wood is not blue and won't turn blue. Great smelling wood, with great carving and turning properties. Reminds me of poplar as far as workability and versatility, but not in the same ball park for price.

Russianwolf

I have onw that Turned a couple months ago, It's still pretty grey in my opinion. It's been sitting under the same UV light as the Purpleheart that has a nice purple color, but no real blue in it for me.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Despite the name, blue mahoe is gray to black. The attribution "blue" is given to the tree because it grows primarily in the Blue Mountains of Jamaica. The Blue Mountains get their name from the mist that settles over the mountains each night, giving them a bluish glow every morning.

marcruby

Now I'M confused. I have a 2.5" by 8" by 8' plank aging on my shelves that had quite a bit of blue in it last time I looked. It is destined for some shallow bowls someday. It was sold to me as blue mahoe. So some of the stuff really is blue.

Originally posted by DCBluesman

Despite the name, blue mahoe is gray to black.

The board I have definitely has a blueish-grey tone to it. Putting it next to a piece of holly, it looks grey. Next to a piece of African blackwood, it looks blue.

Top Bottom