Blue dye

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

yorkie

I've stabilized tons of wood using TurnTex resin and now I want to blue dye/stabilize some Buckeye burl. I bought Stick Fast blue dye. Any suggestions/tips/tricks??

Thanks, guys.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sschering

Ask me again tomorrow when I bake the pieces I have had soaking in blue and red Juice for the last week. :)

Jim Burr

Banned
That's a whole different alligator!! Stabilizing is easy...coloring with stabilizing at the same time, although amazing...not so easy by comparison...JMHO.

DurocShark

That's a whole different alligator!! Stabilizing is easy...coloring with stabilizing at the same time, although amazing...not so easy by comparison...JMHO.

Agreed. Especially denser woods like maple. I've never bought a piece of dyed/stabilized maple that was dyed through. I gave up and started staining on the lathe instead. But then I can 't use stabilized wood. :(

yorkie

I don't know if I just got lucky but, I added the dye to the cactus juice and ran it through the stabilizing process as normal: 1 1/2 hours under vacuum, 1 hour soaking in the chamber, 90 minutes baking in the toaster oven at 190 degrees and they turned perfect, and in the perfect shade of blue all the way through.

Hmmmm.

Top Bottom