Blue Corn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from splinter99

Status
Not open for further replies.

splinter99

Tried my hand at a corn cob pen today..dyed blue with food coloring..ca/blo finish

2007731222456_bc2.jpg

thanks for looking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tseger

Harold, can you share your tech. for dying with food coloring? I tried this in the past with verry miserable results. Yours looks GREAT!!!! Tim

jtate

You did good!

You can also use Sharpie markers and get a nice, even color. Just turn it to its finished dimensions and color it, sand, color, sand, color, and finish.

Julia

neon007

I have tried using a sharpie to no avail. When finishing with CA the sharpie runs. As for the food coloring. I do believe he is using the paste type food coloring. I also believe that it is not alcohol based like the liquid.

ahoiberg

i've got a question regarding the cob pens. do they have to be cast and/or stabilized in order to turn them or do you just drench it with CA when you've got it close to the size of the final pen?

splinter99

Hello
To answer your questions..the blank was not stablized, it was just a dried corn cob from a feed store..the food coloring is a gel paste ..I'll post a link..others may work but I hav't tried them..I'll try to do a tutorial to show how I do it
Thanks for all the nice comments

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Harold, like has already been said, I too think that is the nicest corn cob to date. The colour is really vibrant. Mark Ligget gave me a handful of them and now I realy want to try one. I also thought they had to be cast[:I]

rhahnfl

Thanks Harold!!! That is one fine looking pen. I gave my brother-in-law one I had made just last evening and he really liked it. Wish I had colored it up a bit. Sure do appreciate you volunteering to post a tutorial. That's what makes this site great.

splinter99

Here is the link I said I would post for the liquid food coloring..The blue is#5217 Royal Blue..it comes in a 13 oz bottle, that would probably do thousands of pens..

I will put togeter a tutorial as soon as the weather breaks here..right now its just too darn hot and humid[}:)]

http://sugarcraft.com/catalog/coloring/liquid.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom