Blue and black with brass accents

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BigShed

IPD_Mr

I had not commented yet because I was still trying to wrap my head around the pen because it looked so familiar. I was cleaning up my desk today and when I was putting my daily writer in the case I saw it. I have a Pelikan 200 that is somewhat similar, but what caught me was the blues were pretty close. Yours is a little lighter which I like. The Pelikan has a black body with a blue finial and a blue cap. I like yours better, but if I wanted to kind of mimic the Pelikan I might consider a blue body with a black cap which had a matching blue finial. Not saying you did anything wrong because I really like what you did Fred. BTW, the pen I am comparing it to is one of my favorites with a juicy double broad nib. That would be a pen that I would be more than proud to put in my case. I may try and use a couple of your accomplishments here in my next pen. I am guessing here but is that your own pour on the blue?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigShed

I had not commented yet because I was still trying to wrap my head around the pen because it looked so familiar. I was cleaning up my desk today and when I was putting my daily writer in the case I saw it. I have a Pelikan 200 that is somewhat similar, but what caught me was the blues were pretty close. Yours is a little lighter which I like. The Pelikan has a black body with a blue finial and a blue cap. I like yours better, but if I wanted to kind of mimic the Pelikan I might consider a blue body with a black cap which had a matching blue finial. Not saying you did anything wrong because I really like what you did Fred. BTW, the pen I am comparing it to is one of my favorites with a juicy double broad nib. That would be a pen that I would be more than proud to put in my case. I may try and use a couple of your accomplishments here in my next pen. I am guessing here but is that your own pour on the blue?

Thanks Mike, I must go and find a picture of a Pelikan 200 FP, not familiar with one of those. Just goes to show there's nothing new under the sun:)

Edit:

Just Googled for images of Pelikan 200 FPs, I see what you mean. Some nice pens there, wouldn't be nice to have a customised finial like some of these companies have? Particularly like that Pelikan finial.

I arrived at this combination through a combination of circumstances. When I made the black pen that was on the front page recently it occurred to me that a similar pen with accent bands would look good, then someone here on the forum asked about dark blue blanks and that set me thinking. I had recently bought some new round moulds (or I should say molds!) from Fred Wissen and had poured various solid colour blanks to give them a try. One of those runs was a dark navy blue and I did like the look of that. So long story short, that's how this combo came about
So yes, both the black and the blue are my own pours..

Wherever possible I like making pens with my own blanks, not because they are necessarily any better than bought blanks, in most cases they're not, but I feel it gives me more "ownership" in the pen.

Edit:

Just Googled for images of a Pelikan 200, I see what you mean, some very nice combinations there.
Particularly like the clip, looks like it comes straight a Perfect Fit kit, one of my favourite kits.
Wouldn't it be nice to make a custom finial like Pelikan, and others, have. I very much like that Pelikan finial with the stylised P, very classy.

That is also the reason I would eventually like to be able to make my own clips, although your new range gives me more choice there.

Last edited:

IPD_Mr

Fred,
I told you wrong about the Pelikan, it is the M250 not a 200. Anyway I attached a couple of photos so you could see what I am talking about. Your blue is much more pleasing where to me on the 250 it is too dark. You can kind of see why I thought your pen looked familiar to me. Not that I thought you were copying anything, just that I knew there was a reason I liked it.
M250BlueAndBlackCapped.jpg
M250BlueAndBlackUncapped.jpg

Top Bottom