Blowout FIXED - Kinda...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ROOKIETURNER

ROOKIETURNER

Here is the story:

I liked turning pens.

I purchased Lathe, Tools and materials.

I turned a dozen or so wood pens, 3 acrylics and thought that I was ready to tackle, not one, but two, Circuit Board pens. They look cool and should sell really well.

I turned green CB pen, BOOM!!! Major blow out!

So I took it off the lathe and put the Blue CB blank on.

All was going well, almost down to the shape I need...BOOM!!! Blow out in a line all the way around the stinkin' blank!

So I stewed for a week or two after mourning the loss. I then, after much research purchased a can of PR from Michaels, and then waited another week before making a form (which I will not be using that design again), and poured up the fix on the Green Board. After most of the PR leaked out of the mold, I let it dry and to my surprise the blowout was the only part that got covered. So not a total loss.

I had to be careful turning, so as not to catch the repair.

Once it was turned, there was only a slight noticable line (which the clip hides nicely). Not that I would sell, but to show, I like that the flaw is covered.

http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?n=12740
So I moved on to the Blue CB blank. I used a thick CA and layered up. Once I had enough layers I turned. It was not too bad. Once polished there were several flaws that I did not see when applying the CA. I will wet the blank or polish to find the flaws. Cracks that I could not see would have been seen. The clip doesn't cover up all the flaws. I have shown it to a few people and they don't seem to notice. I will also use this as a show piece.

Thanks for reading my story.

The End.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxman400

Nice save,They Look Good. I've had a couple of those and I found that I did not have my tool rest close enough to support the end of my tools.

ROOKIETURNER

Sharp, Sharp, Sharp Tools. Don't dig in at all. PR is not Acrylic. Go Slow. Tool rest as close as possible. Anchor, Bevel and Cut. Did I mention SHARP TOOLS? Also don't take your eye off of your cut, for even the blink of an eye.

I also learned that opening the kit and letting the PR blank dry a few more days until it is not tacky is a good idea.

Thanks for the comments!

cnirenberg

Sharp tools give a sharp result Grasshopper. By the way the save came out fantastic. I haven't seen the Blue CB's, it's pretty cool.

Texatdurango

Too funny, George! It takes a "tool strangler" to know one. We've all choked a skew or two, so you might as well admit it too!

Nice save, Rob.
Hey, how do you think I recognized the catch? I've seen that same type of damage many, many times! :)

I remember many times having the tool post half a mile away from the work and pressing the gouge up against the wood like I was trying to press a hole through solid granite then in 1/1000th of a second, the tool tips, digs in 'till it gets a good mouthful of blank then kablooie (sp)!

johnnycnc

Nice save!
been there, too. Also, don't drop these blanks on concrete shop floor. 2X drop; 2X cracked. I felt like I was going to need a tissue, let me tell ya!!:biggrin:

Rfturner

Circuit board pens

Nice save...but to stop it from happening again your tools have to be sharp otherwise they want to grab and it can be all over in the blink of an eye. keep light pressure and take smaller passes. You have done a good job covering it up. The best place to visually place you mistakes often times is under the clip or near the bands Visually the are not seen as much because the shinier components draw attetion to themselves and not you flaw.

I had a simmilar issue the first time I turned a mother of pearl blank, I was able to save it but barely. it cost around 17-18 bucks and I has almost in shock, I had turned around 50-75 pens before even using Acrylic and corian. PR is a beast of it's own, Patience is the key

Chief Hill

Nice save. Been there too. Its like a slow motion NOOOOOOO....... AHHHHHH FU*& as the piece I need gets sucked into the DC.

PenMan1

Addendum to Murphy's Law: The tool that you fling across the shop while screaming AHHHHHHH FU*& will be damaged beyond repair and will absolutely be the next tool necessary to complete ANY project.

Been there done that. Same thing several times. it seems the circut board blank are really hard and a little catch or bad edge and bang! Blowout. Only had it happen on circut board blanks so far. I recast as well and you can't even see where it blew out.

Top Bottom