Bloodwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrenjttu

I got a piece of bloodwood ont the lathe right now and the color is a lot lighter than many other pieces that I have seen. Is this one of those specie like purpleheart where heat will bring out the color?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scotirish

I turned several pens with Bloodwood and was unhappy with the light color. After a period of time laying in the shop they darkened up. Also after use the red really came out. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

fiferb

Bloodwood is dense but not difficult to turn. It should throw off nice ribbons. At least it does for me when I do pens. I have not tried a bowl so YMMV.

marcruby

I'm tempted to say that it doesn't look like bloodwood - both the color and the width of the grain are unusual. The bloodwood I have in the shop - and right now I seem to have a lot -- is a dark red with very dense grain.

But my local wood wizqard informs me that it is possible to get bloodwood that looks a lot like pink ivory. It's rare, but it does happen.

Marc

DurocShark

That pic looks like the redheart "bowl" I did recently. After some splintering and cracking I ended up with a large coaster. :(

workinforwood

yes, bloodwood is very hard, which means it's very brittle. It can splinter, chatter and crack without sharp tools and easy clamping pressure. I've had bloodwoods that were a bit lighter than others, but not dramatically lighter.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I believe it's Bloodwood - without question. I've purchased a piece of bloodwood that had some lighter sapwood in it - so I was told. It was even lighter than that bowl and had streaks and spotting of a light cream color as well. I haven't done anything with it yet. Maybe I'll set it out in the sun and see if the color darkens. I'm not sure it will, though. I haven't noticed it to have that property as Purpleheart does.

bitshird

What Stan said. Unmistakable.
Sort of like a cinnamon odor. Spicy.

So does Macacuba/Maca/ wood , seems several woods have that odor but they aren't even of the same Genus Platymiscium pinnatum
and Bloodwood is of the Brosimum rubescens Genus
and Redheart which comes mostly from Mexico is Erythroxylon mexicanum but I don't recall that cinnamon smell, I was kind of amazed when I made that Bloodwood Statesman, I kept thinking it sure smelled like Maca.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
So does Macacuba/Maca/ wood , seems several woods have that odor but they aren't even of the same Genus Platymiscium pinnatum
and Bloodwood is of the Brosimum rubescens Genus
and Redheart which comes mostly from Mexico is Erythroxylon mexicanum but I don't recall that cinnamon smell, I was kind of amazed when I made that Bloodwood Statesman, I kept thinking it sure smelled like Maca.

I haven't turned macawood in a while (I liked it, but only found it once here)
and I remember the smell being nice, but not distinctive.. and not like the
bloodwood I'd been getting. Then again, there's many species sharing
common names, and many species having several nicknames. So I don't really
know if I've had true bloodwood, or true macacauba either.
OK, I'll shut up now.

The bloodwood I've worked with has been much redder than that... most I've used in glue-ups for pepper mills but do have one small bowl in Bloodwood.. I usually look up woods that I work with either in Kestrel or Hobbit house to get info.. this is Kestrel's write up on Bloodwood... I have a piece of wood I got from CSUSA about a year ago marked Satine that is more pinkish than red...

----- beginning of Kestrel quote ---------
Bloodwood (Brosimum rubescens, - Brosimum paraense) This wood grows in tropical South America. It is also known as cardinal wood or satiné. The heartwood is a deep, rich brick-red color. It is noteworthy in that it keeps its color over time and doesn't brown-out as do many of the other red-toned woods. Bloodwood is a hard, dense, heavy wood with a very fine, even texture and takes an excellent finish from the cutter. Odorless and tasteless. Very hard and heavy. Weight 56 to 66 lbs. per cu. ft. Very difficult to work but finishes smoothly, taking a high polish. Rare. And expensive. Tropical South America -
------end of Kestrel quote--------

This is the little bowl I have in Bloodwood along with one of the peppermills
I got the Bloodwood from a local supplier in Knoxville... it was a board 8' x 12" x 2" thick.. very very dark red and weighed about 65 lbs. You can see how dark the red is. I don't remember any odor with the wood, but on the peppermill it's only part of the wood and any odor would have been masked by the other woods probably anyway.

Attachments

• 10-404.JPG
    10-404.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 10-404-2.JPG
    10-404-2.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 81
  • 34-390.JPG
    34-390.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 34-390-2.JPG
    34-390-2.JPG