BLO- Deft

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tseger

Irecently finished this platter and coated it with BLO. I got the effect I wanted, but it's really dull looking. I want to put a couple coats of Deft spray on it but I don't know how well it will work putting the Deft over the BLO. Anyone done this before?

Thanks, Tim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

I've never put Deft over BLO, but I do use BLO on my larger turnings - several coats, allow each coat to dry & wipe off excess, then buff. That will produce , IMO, a very nice sheen comparable to a semi-gloss poly.

BTW, very nice job on the platter.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Your best solution to getting a higher gloss is to use more coats of the Linseed Oil, and any of the commercial oil finishes. You should start to get a gloss after 3 or 4 coats applied as directed on the can. The commercial finishes contain varnish resins that build a surface film to get the gloss.

You could also apply a couple good coats of a Watco Oil and them buff the surface after it has had a few days to cure.

The problem with mixing finishes is that Lacquer and Oil finishes DO NOT mix or bond very well. You might get away with it, but there is no guarantee. You will have better results if you wait a couple weeks, double that in cool weather, until the linseed oil is thoroughly cured. Then buff the surface with 320-grit, and clean it with lacquer thinner before putting on the Deft. You might get a finish that doesn't peel off. Better results would be using a barrier coat of shellac between the Linseed Oil and the lacquer.

tseger

Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />Your best solution to getting a higher gloss is to use more coats of the Linseed Oil, and any of the commercial oil finishes. You should start to get a gloss after 3 or 4 coats applied as directed on the can. The commercial finishes contain varnish resins that build a surface film to get the gloss.
Thanks for the replies. I have just returned from the shop and I put two more coats of BLO. That maks 3, and it does have more of a gloss to it. Russ, what are some examples of the commercial oil finishes that you refered to? Thanks, Tim

tseger

Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />Are you buffing it between coats----that is the key.
Apply----- Dry------- Buff ------Repeat
I am. I have the bowl still mounted on the lathe, and I apply a coat of BLO with lathe off, let it dry, turn the lathe on at 1200 RPM and buff with a soft cloth. I don't have any kind of buffing system. Tim

Gary Max

Tim you are buffing it----a system is not required. The trick to what you are doing---It will take more time. make sure your cloth is clean. When you buff don't try and do the whole thing at once---work on a small section--get it done and move on to the next. You can wipe the whole thing down when you get the completely buffed. I don't have anything on my big lathe or I would show you. Everyone wants to be in a hurry about getting the right finish---the trick is keep working on it and you will get there. A little tip---if you need to fix something---400 grit sandpaper will not hurt your finish--a light pass with sandpaper can smooth things out if needed.

tseger

Thanks Gary, I'll just put a few more coats on and buff it out good and I think it will look pretty good.
I'll post a pic here when it is finished. Tim

jttheclockman

I would like to add my 2 cents here because I am seeing a few mis conceptions stated that are simply not true. First you can add deft over BLO and never have a adheasion problem. The key is and it is a big key is that the blo must be dry. The problem with oil finishes they dry from the inside out not from the outside in. That is why a fair amount of time is needed to top coat. Next is you will not get a gloss finish applying BLO in layers. You can do this till the cows come home. Now what people see when doing this is the first couple coats are sealing the wood and now after that you are buffing or annealing the wood when rubbing out the last coat. The amount of oil you are putting on is so miniscue you would need 100 coats to build any finish. Now with the burnishing you can get a smooth finish but not durable.

Now the next step up from BLO is Danish oil and comes in various names. But what this is basically is BLO with poly added and driers. It is the poly in the mixture that will give you a better shine or more gloss as stated. It will not dull out as fast as BLO which will dry out over time. Now if you are thinking of putting Deft or any lacquer on top of Danish oil do not do it. Because Danish oil has poly in it you do not mix poly and lacquer. Layers of lacquer melt into each other as with poly lyers just lay on top thus requiring sanding between coats. Lacquer does not require sanding between coats unless to get rid of dust specs. To take this all another step. Do not mix water base products with oil base products.

Now these are just my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom