blo and ca

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff3285

has anyone had any experience with using blo and ca glue for a finish for pens,,i have been watching you tube videos and it seems to be a good finish,,can anyone give me the pros or cons and how they apply it,,,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

There are many people here who use the ca/BLO combination. There are also many threads on the topic. Basically the same process as using ca you just apply a drop of BLO between each ca application. When I do it I start with a drop of BLO and apply it. Then a drop or two of ca on the same spot on the paper towel and apply it. Move to a clean spot of paper towel and repeat but only use one drop of BLO. For me the ca goes on smoother when I use BLO. Others feel the BLO effects their final finished look so they don't use it. Give it a try and see how it works for you. Use very little BLO. Too much mucks up the ca.

vtgaryw

I'll use it on some woods under the first layer of CA. It adds a little richness to the color.

Gary

JD Combs Sr

To me it sounds too much like trying to paint an oily surface so I only use CA by itself. My process is to first coat with CA thin for penetration and then 8-10 coats of medium CA. I have never had a problem with the CA separating from the blank or clouding up. My application method for the thin is simple to flood the blank then wipe quickly with a towel. I am careful with the flooding at the ends to avoid too much CA on my finishing bushings(not that it would hurt them, just don't like cleaning them). The remaining coats of medium are similar to what is mentioned above. A small drop on a folded paper towel applied to the blank in a wiping motion from right to left(I'm right handed). The towel is refolded for a clean spot then another drop is applied... ditto for the remaining coats. For me the wipe on method does not leave any ridges that require sanding. I use MicroMesh and most of the time the finish is smooth enough that I start with the green MM and sometimes even the burgundy MM. But based on the many threads on the subject that I have seen on here I am sure YMMV. If anyone has a question about my process just PM me.

its_virgil

I use CA and boiled linseed oil together as a finish for my pens. I use a little oil with weach coat. I usually apply 4 coats, no sanding and go directly from applying the finish to MicroMesh then buff. No, I do not consider using MicroMesh as sanding.

There are several ways to use the two. Some put the oil on first then the CA and others apply the CA first immediately followed by the oil on top. There are enough videos and articles to keep one occupied for hours so I will not try to explain how I apply the oil and CA. I do have an article at Wooden Pens: Buy Handmade unique custom rattlesnake wood pens gifts fountain pen exotic wood from Red River Pens for those interested.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Krudwig

Stone method I use is the small drop of BLO on the paper towel and the ca right on top of the blo. I start with thin ca at low speed and put about 6-8 coats and then turn up the speed to build up a little heat and do the same with medium ca and I keep the paper towel in constant contact with the blank till each coat dries. After 6-8 coats of the medium ca at 2400 rpm I go to the plastix Polish and do it twice . I never use micro mesh or sandpaper once the ca finish begins and I get a really nice high gloss finish. I followed a YouTube video and after some practice was able to get it to work for me. I also use the 2p-10 ca as well and like it over others I've tried.

Woodguy95

has anyone had any experience with using blo and ca glue for a finish for pens,,i have been watching you tube videos and it seems to be a good finish,,can anyone give me the pros or cons and how they apply it,,,

I am currently a student in chemistry in University down in Canada. CA glue is basicaly a very wide category of plastics. Some of those plastics are used in medical fields or dentistery and some in woodworking applications.
Anyway, for all the differents plastics there is a polymerisation. When you put BLO it will polymerise with the CA glue which will cause it to harden a bit faster.

As for hardeness it might or might not affect it. You would need to do some testing. Though it is likely to make the plastic weaker sine the length of the molecules will be shorter. I don't want to get into much details but I will defeneatly test out the strength of both finishes.

I use a weird method. I just put a coat of mineral oil on my wood then I dry off the excess and I rubb on my CA finish. I don't do this because I think it makes for a harder, softer or faster drying finish. I just do it because I think it makes the grain pop-out a bit more and looks nicer.

Sorry for the obviously long post and the english mistakes I am not a native english speaker.

Top Bottom