Blank "rounding" jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Xephius

I recently found a jig for cutting off the corners of a blank, but I can't find it anymore. I looked through the library, and I didn't see it. I also looked through the last few threads and didn't see it... I probably looked right at it and missed it, but I wanted to build one so I had hopes someone else knew what I am talking about and could point me to it. Sorry to ask if it is right in front of me and I am being daft....

-X

(The jig I am speaking of had dimensions, parts list and detailed pictures to build it. I think it was designed for a band saw, but could be adapted for any saw.)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

17.gif

Woodlvr

I have one that is mounted on a board that someone donated a couple of years ago in the BB, I have never used it or been able to sell it. Go figure.

HawksFeather

When I started turning there was a jig pictured that you could clamp on your bandsaw to cut off the corners. It didn't make it round, but helped. Where it worked the best for me was on some softer pieces of wood that (with limited turning skills) I would get a catch and sometimes ruin a pretty decent piece of wood. Are you thinking of a jig along that line or something else?

Jerry

Xephius

Jerry,

That is exactly what I am speaking of. It was a nice little design to knock the corners off a blank to make it octagon shaped.

My wife and I are building complicated inlay/constructed blanks, and she had had trouble with a couple of them exploding on because they catch a little when first turning. I often will use the sander, or slice the corners off by hand using a clamp. She prefers to use a jig where her hands get nowhere near a blade/sander. My hope was to make up this jig so she could feel confident cutting the corners without me.

I also would like to have it for the time when I build a blank with many metal layers. I have and can just pop it on the lathe and be gentle, but when I spend the better part of 4 hours building a segment, I don't want it to explode because the tool bites the blank..

I will keep looking, or just build my own and post it up here...

-X

Bear-31

I think this is the one you are looking for. I downloaded them a while back. It's not mine and I haven't tried it yet. I haven't found a blank I wasn't willing to round on the lathe.

Attachments

• Blank Jig 1.jpg
    Blank Jig 1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 632
  • Blank Jig 2.jpg
    Blank Jig 2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 907

HawksFeather

Here are a couple of pictures of the one that I made. It is nothing fancy, but gets the job done when needed. I made it from a 14 inch piece of aluminum angle (because it would be the easiest to open the slot I needed) attached to a piece of scrap wood that I had cut at a 45 degree angle and attach it with a C clamped to the saw when I need it. It is pretty easy to move and make any adjustments for larger or smaller blanks. I have used it on some pen blanks but mainly 1 3/4 blanks.

Blankholder02.jpg

BlankHolder00.jpg

BlankHolder01.jpg

It is pretty straight forward, but if you have any questions let me know.

Jerry

Top Bottom