Blank needed - white oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I've got this idea for a pen running around in that scattered brain of mine and need some white oak to work with.
Something like this stuff (unfortunately it's only 1/2" thick and won't do for a pen blank, maybe a box):
1_White-Oak_sample.jpg

If anybody has any thicker stuff for sale or knows of a possible supplier please PM me. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I've got this idea for a pen running around in that scattered brain of mine and need some white oak to work with.
Something like this stuff (unfortunately it's only 1/2" thick and won't do for a pen blank, maybe a box):

If anybody has any thicker stuff for sale or knows of a possible supplier please PM me. Thanks.
I've got some white oak, but it sure isn't figured like that stuff is!

I'm thinking the stuff I have is a way out of your price range, though!:wink:

Why white oak?:confused:

micharms

Larry:
I'll check and see what I have in the shop. I should be able to help you out. I'll PM later if I find something. How much and what length? Are you looking really figured stuff like in the photo?

Michael

Tim'sTurnings

I'm just very curious. Why would someone post "I'm thinking the stuff I have is a way out of your price range, though!":wink:

Sound very demeaning to me. IMO

Curly

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk!

I'm just very curious. Why would someone post "I'm thinking the stuff I have is a way out of your price range, though!":wink:

Mack and Larry are turning pals. It is only a bit of ribbing or an inside joke between them.

Wouldn't waste much of my time on either of these no talents though. :tongue: :tongue: :wink:

Pete

toddlajoie

That and I have a feeling he's offering his high quality "lumber yard variety" white oak... what's that running $1.5 per board ft (that's somewhere around 12 cents a blank.... figure in some profit and you're looking at maybe .50 ea...):) Too rich for my blood...:biggrin:

Thanks everybody. Guess I should have said White Oak Burl. I'm thinking a dark ages carved design so I really want the dark swirls and definitely a coarse wood like oak. It might not work out the way I picture it but I'd like to try. I checked my wood shed and all I've got is a bunch of crosscut figured stuff that just isn't right.
Thanks everybody except Mack and maybe Curly.:biggrin: Michael is going to send me a photo of what he's got. I'll get back if it works out.

Larry, have you tried to glue two pieces together to come up with a full 1" blank size or is it the length that you would need?

Thanks Phillip but my vision would be ruined by a precise straight line. There's no way to hide a glue joint in burl like this.

phillywood

Larry, have you tried to glue two pieces together to come up with a full 1" blank size or is it the length that you would need?

Thanks Phillip but my vision would be ruined by a precise straight line. There's no way to hide a glue joint in burl like this.
Unless you have to do it that way the other option owuld be to get creative with it and cut it in angle then glue it. This way it would give you a nice line in an angle pattern, kind of segmenting but with the same wood and grain running in different direction. something to think about.

Unless you have to do it that way the other option owuld be to get creative with it and cut it in angle then glue it. This way it would give you a nice line in an angle pattern, kind of segmenting but with the same wood and grain running in different direction. something to think about.

I'm thinking of a hand carved pattern and lines running in any direction would not fit in, even straight grain lines wouldn'd look right. I had the perfect blank, cut from a piece of scrap, and I wasted it two years ago making this pen:

%23952_White-Oak_Olympian-Elite2.jpg

Anyway, that's the sort of material I'm looking for. Thanks. Going to be hard to find.

All Right!

What a great resource this place is!

It looks like micharms has just what I need and is willing to part the beauties. Thanks everybody.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Mack and Larry are turning pals. It is only a bit of ribbing or an inside joke between them.

Wouldn't waste much of my time on either of these no talents though. :tongue: :tongue: :wink:

Pete
Thanks Pete; I represent that remark!

Glad you got what you were looking for, Pal! I really was trying to help.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Top Bottom