Blank Materials

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Given that there are tons of different materials out there for making pen blanks. What is your favorite. Now I am partial to wood and there are some I like more than others but generally I like all woods. I don't want a lot of detail just the basic material you enjoy the most.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaptainJane

Newbie blank likes

I am pretty new at this - but I gravitate towards the bright colors and variety of "acrylics". Maybe as I gain experience, I will get sophisticated enough to appreciate the wonders and subtle nuances of wood blanks. Also ,since I am giving all my pens away at this point, I notice that the wood pens are generally passed over in favor of the brighter acrylics.

Last edited:

MikeinSC

Order of preference is
1. Anything not Inlace Acrylester. Too brittle, too painful, too annoying.
2. Black Palm.

Pretty much anything else I like, nothing I really love.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Borrowing a quote from Yo-Yo Spin (Ed Davidson):
"Wood is good, plastic is fantastic!!"

Plastics are faster to finish AND wood pens (and other natural products) can crack. Plastics are more stable.

As for selling---every high end manufacturer uses plastic over wood. Just ask your potential customer, "why is that"? The pens that sell best are the ones the maker believes in---you sell those things that YOU like.

ripjack13

I prefer stabilized wood. The plastic/acrylic stuff is ok, but I personally like the look of real wood as opposed to something fake. However, I saw the stuff called M3 Mokume Gane the other day..holy cow. That stuff looks really cool.

jttheclockman

I prefer stabilized wood. The plastic/acrylic stuff is ok, but I personally like the look of real wood as opposed to something fake. However, I saw the stuff called M3 Mokume Gane the other day..holy cow. That stuff looks really cool.

Nothing more than plastic wood then.:biggrin:

bjbear76

I love revealing what a highly figured burl is hiding. Unfortunately, burls do not sell well in my area, but acrylics do. So, I turn more acrylics even though I enjoy burls.

Ditto. I'd say 85-90% of my sales are the bright eye-catching acrylics. Highly figured woods and burls (that I think have more warmth and appeal) just do not sell well

BKelley

African Blackwood, Cocobolo, & Olivewood in that order. I like acrylics and turn a lot of them, but these woods are my favorite. Just one problem, I'm allergic to some woods especially the Dalbergia family.
Ben

Top Bottom