Blank had a spot that didn't set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

OK I turned some blanks I poured over the weekend. They were pretty hard after a few hours and by Tuesday they passed the knock test. I hit hem against each other and when I here i high pitched tone I know they are hard.

Started turning and half way in I hit a soft spot. It was like a ribbon of soft resin. I stirred the resin just as much as before.

Not sure what happened.

BSea

When mixing, be sure and scrape the sides and bottom. if you get soft spots it is most likely because things aren't mixed well enough. It could also be some moisture, but I'm not sure. I'm guess your talking about PR rather than alumilite.

The only time I've had soft spots like you describe was when I mixed some black alumilite. The working time is shorter than regular alumilite, and I think that was my problem.

pianomanpj

I would also add that scrape the sides and bottom ONLY when you're mixing - NOT when you're pouring. Doing so could introduce an unmixed amount of material.

When mixing, be sure and scrape the sides and bottom. if you get soft spots it is most likely because things aren't mixed well enough. It could also be some moisture, but I'm not sure. I'm guess your talking about PR rather than alumilite.

The only time I've had soft spots like you describe was when I mixed some black alumilite. The working time is shorter than regular alumilite, and I think that was my problem.

Top Bottom