Blank Drilling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Please provide more info.

How are you drilling? Drill press? If so, are you sure the table is perpendicular to the bit?
How are you holding the blanks?
What wood are you drilling?
How fast is your drill (DP) going?
What bits are you using?

Some of these info will help diagnose why you are having problems.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Bend a piece of wire with two offsets so you have 3 straight runs that are close to parallel.Start with a piece of wire like a coat hanger or if you have a long peg board hooh it is even better.
The offset should be so that it comes close to the DP table when you chuck it up.
Raise the table so that it just clears a credit card or what ever you choose to use as a "gauge"
Turn the chuck by hand and see if you have the same clearance all the way around the table.
If not adjust the table so it does.
The only other thing I can think of is a dull bit.
Do you get the same results regardless of the bit you use?
Speed should not be a factor.
Piece of stock cut on a bias will also cause a bit to "drift"
One more thought.
If you are using a vice but your stock isn't square that would also cause your exit hole to be off center.
As Dario pointed out more info is needed but the above information should rule out the obvious.
One more idea.
Start with bigger blanks.In 2 inches it should be close enough for hand grenades.[:D]

guts

Alan the blanks don't have to be perfectly drilled in the center to make a nice pen,it helps no doubt to start out but i've turned more than a few that were way off center,like eagle said start with a big blank and turn it down to size.[:)]

txcwboy

I draw a line from corner to corner creating a cross in the middle. I use a drill press vise, use a square to check it in the vise to check for perpendicular. Use a brad point in the middle of the X and drill slow. Usually ends up pretty darn close to middle on the other side.

Dave

TomJ

The way I get blanks exactly center: I closed the jawas of my vise. I used a 1/8 drill bit and drill a hole right through the center between the two jaws. This leaves you two half circles to hold your pen blanks. When you clamp your blanks in your vise now it will be exactly the same as the angle of you drill press. Perfect drills every time!!!

Chuck B

I get very accurate drilling & I am also using brad point bits from woodcraft I also clear chips every 1/2" I have noticed when I'm making slimlines that the bit does get hot & I am drilling at a medium speed.

1. Should my bit get hot like that evn clearing chips every 1/2"

What speed do you guy's drill at?

beaverfsu

Depending on how oily/resinous a wood is, I will get smoke and heat toward the end of the blank even clearing chips. Have good brad point. drill at 1700 rpm

JimGo

Tom, I'm with the rest...great idea! In fact, you could do the same thing with scrap wood between the jaws of the vise. That would allow for cases where you have to move the table every time.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
TomJ's idea is ingeniously simple
(Here's where the but comes in)
Though the angle is minute, bear in mind that a blank that is cut straight grained may incur some drift.
Assuming you cut your blanks square milling the ends is even more important using Tom J's method.
It's still a great tip.!

Dario

I setup my vise in a similar manner.

1. Chuck a bigger bit (closer to 1/2").
2. Lower the bit to full depth of the quill
3. Close the unsecred vise to the bit.
4. Secure the vise to my DP table. If the table is perfectly perpendicular...no shimmming should be required.

Since my DP is fully dedicated to pen drilling, I don'r ever move the vise so it is a one time setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom