Blank cutting drill bits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jason_r

I'm looking for the drill bits that drill a round blank out of a board while simultaneously drilling the center hole.

I've seen these before, but can't seem to find them on PSI, Woodcraft, or Craft supply USA's site, and can't remember the specific name to search for.

Have these gone the way of the dodo or what search should I plug in to find them? (or anyone have a link?)

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
are you talking about a plug cutter? I've never seen one long enough
for a pen blank, but who knows.. they might make them.
But where's the fun in that?

Haynie

That would be one monster long hole saw. I have a set that you can change out the guide bit but it won't take one as wide as most pen sized bits.

jason_r

are you talking about a plug cutter? I've never seen one long enough
for a pen blank, but who knows.. they might make them.
But where's the fun in that?

Not exactly a plug cutter, but that's not a bad comparison. This is a drill bit that would do one barrel of a pen blank at time- so about 2" long, with open sides and a regular twist drill down the center. So it's cutting 2 concentric circles- the hole down the center and rounding the outside at the same time.

Where's the fun in that? I have an idea where I need rounded blanks with the center hole drilled. It's just an intermediate step, not a finished pen.

Are you talking about something specifically for pen turning? A keyhole bit does that but it would not do a pen blank.

Yes, this is specifically for pen turning. I can picture the ad page showing a piece of ?Padauk with a series of blanks drilled, with the bottom edge still attached. Just can't find it or remember the right name.

Last edited:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
sorta like a hole saw or plug cutter with a drill bit in the middle.
Wonder if they make them with changeable bits?

jfoh

Some one gave me one of those several years ago. I had a problem with the drill not staying in the center of the blank. It would drift to one side. Perhaps you will have better luck.

JF36

It looks like any bit can be used as long as it has a 7mm shank on it. If you had a metal lathe to could take any short drill bit that has a shank larger then 7mm and turn it down to 7mm to fit the cutter.

robutacion

Yes, that would be the way to get any drill size working with these cutters.

I haven't seen them before and I'm amazed on how they could be handy in many situations, looking at the complete kit price, it is a great saving at $119.05 compared with the 142.20 of buying it separately...!

Great link, thanks...!

Cheers
George

witz1976

jason_r

It looks like any bit can be used as long as it has a 7mm shank on it. If you had a metal lathe to could take any short drill bit that has a shank larger then 7mm and turn it down to 7mm to fit the cutter.

I have access to a metal lathe. :biggrin:

Not that long ago I had to shave my 33/64 drill bit down a scosch so it would fit my 1/2" chuck.

Top Bottom