Blackening Brass Tubes??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I need some of your wise advice please. Some materials I am uning for pen blanks are some what transparent and I can see the brass tube through some EPR's and Lucites. How do you blaken the tube to hide it? I tried using a marker but for some reason after I used CA glue it came off in a thin black film and the tube would not glue well to the blank. Alladvice and product links and recommendations are welcomed...

:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Look on the IAP home page in the articles shown there...you may get lucky ;-) The markers/ink/paint I've use seem to dissolve with the glue and are not satisfactory.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Do a good turn daily!
Originally posted by Jim in Oakville
<br />Hi,

I need some of your wise advice please. Some materials I am uning for pen blanks are some what transparent and I can see the brass tube through some EPR's and Lucites. How do you blaken the tube to hide it? I tried using a marker but for some reason after I used CA glue it came off in a thin black film and the tube would not glue well to the blank. Alladvice and product links and recommendations are welcomed...

[:D]

LanceD

I have had great results mixing black paint pigment with my five minute epoxy and painting the inside of the blank with the glue, then painting the tube with it. It dries real quick and in about 45 minutes it's ready to turn.

DWK5150

Jim,

I have used markers and paint on the tubes with epoxy and have the same problem with it coming loose in a thin film. I just bought some brass blackener for use on guns and am going to try that out and see how it works.

Thanks Guys..

I tried to buy some Blaken-It here in the Toronto area, but I could not find it. I tried to call the link in the psoted article but they are not returning my calls/......any help on a supplier would greatly be apprciated!

wayneis

Jim I use a flat spray paint to paint the tubes and then squirt a bit inside the hole of the blank coating the inside. Let it dry, sometimes I help it with a hair dryer and then use epoxy glue. CA will sometimes also change the color you used and then you are up a creek.

Wayne

Originally posted by Jim in Oakville
<br />Thanks Guys..

I tried to buy some Blacken-It here in the Toronto area, but I could not find it. I tried to call the link in the posted article but they are not returning my calls/......any help on a supplier would greatly be apprciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom