Black & White Cast Black Peppercorns

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dai Sensei

Dai Sensei

This was more a trial casting as I want to cast a pair of salt & pepper grinder blanks. I like the white, not sure about the black.

1_Black_Peppercorns_1.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LarryDNJR

Both look good, white does look better. With the outline of the peppercorns looks better contrasted to the white.

el_d

Nice work Neil, I have to agree on the white one. Looks better.

How many times did you sneeze while turning them????

ToddMR

Yeah pretty unique there. I think the colored peppercorns would look cool in the black casting. Both look nice. I like the thickness of the color of the white, almost a milky white which I think makes it look really good.

hebertjo

It seems like you could pack more corns in the mold, that might help make the black (and white) look better. Also if you could find some different sized corns small ones would fill in the voids between the larger ones.

Great looking start, good luck on the mills!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
One word of warning, any time I see "salt" mentioned.

I learned that salt reacts with CA. IF you decide to do anything with casting salt--it works ok, but when you are turning ---- BE VERY CAREFUL---WHEN YOU USE CA!!!

darcisowers

I like the white better. the contrast is much clearer. I agree that more peppercorns could be nicer.

overall, very nice.

What I really want to know: does it make you sneeze when you turn it? :biggrin:

Dai Sensei

How many times did you sneeze while turning them????

Heaps :biggrin:

It seems like you could pack more corns in the mold, that might help make the black (and white) look better. Also if you could find some different sized corns small ones would fill in the voids between the larger ones.

Great looking start, good luck on the mills!

Yep, I've done a few more trial pen blank casts today packing them in :rolleyes: I have tried multi coloured peppercorns before, but didn't like the bland colours, just personal taste.

One word of warning, any time I see "salt" mentioned.

I learned that salt reacts with CA. IF you decide to do anything with casting salt--it works ok, but when you are turning ---- BE VERY CAREFUL---WHEN YOU USE CA!!!

Thanks for the warning, I was thinking of some of the rock salt, I'll abandon that thought now.

Neil, I like the white one best, but maybe getting too many pepper corns in the PR might cause curing problems.

No problems with reaction, but you do need to be carefull to ensure there is enough resin holding at all together, otherwise they just fall apart when you drill.

I did a trial of dried chilli, but he PR didn't like that, ended up with a soapy goowy mess :redface: The chilli & black pepper set, but just fell apart when I drilled, as there were unset parts within the blank.

I do love to experiment :biggrin:

Top Bottom