Black Mangrove RARE & GORGEOUS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bruce119

Well I just wanted to show off these photos. I got some Black Mangrove I had in the shop for a few years now and decided to cut it open. I had a fairly long large log. This was recovered from the marsh. It is a very protected and regulated wood you can't even trim it if it grows on your property. It only grows in the salt marsh of warmer climates. Back in the 60's before it became protected builders clear cut a lot of old growth Mangrove to open a sea view. Then they just left the timber in the mud that is the wood I recover. This particular one is very rare it is the largest diameter I have found. It has the most intense blue color I think it get it's color from the minerals in the mud sitting there for 40 plus years and it protects the wood there are no worm holes in this piece others do have worms from time to time.

Just thought some of you mite like to see a wood that doesn't come a long often. If there's enough interest I mite offer some up.

This is half wet with alcohol
P9090003.jpg

This is a log that is left
P9090054.jpg

This is 7 local timbers timbers L. to R. 2-mangrove, 2-camphor, 1-spaulted pecan 1-palm 1-live oak

Dry
P9090045.jpg

wet w/BLO
P9090046.jpg

Thanks for looking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Lar

That is great wood, super color. Even tho my wife doesn't think that I need more blanks, I would be interested in some if you decide to market it.

bensoelberg

I'd love to see the mangrove on a pen.

I spent some time in Puerto Rico 7 years ago and the eastern coast had tons of mangroves. I wonder if they are as protected there? Anyone from PR made anything from mangrove?

robutacion

I would love to get some of that mangrove wood, a 22mm slice like the one you had on the top pic would be ideal (sample of wood from edge to edge), that is such a "different wood...!"

I will offer a swap with any of my woods you would want, including the latest ones, ie. vine, etc...!

What you're reckon...???:wink:

Cheers
George

jthompson1995

I've got a few pieces of black mangrove and it is a very unusual wood grain that I haven't seen anywhere else. If you do offer some for sale I might be interested in getting some more, maybe a slab or two I could use for some other projects.

cnirenberg

Bruce,
That sure is some beautiful wood. I had some a while back that I "found" along one of the barrier islands we have here. It didn't have the figure yours does (second pic-segmented pen is terrific), but it was fun to turn.

ldubia

Bruce, I would be very interested in some of this wood as well. I would like pen size and others if possible. Please let me know how much, etc.

Larry
Santa Cruz

Jim Smith

Bruce,

Please include me on your list for the Blue Mangrove. Perhaps some crosscut if it shows all the beautiful colors as in the log.

Jim Smith

Top Bottom