"Black CA" Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

islandturner

I googled 'black CA' and learned that there is such a critter. I'm thinking of some special segmenting using ebony or African Blackwood, and wonder if black CA might offer a bit of 'forgiveness' in non-perfect joints or seams?

It might also be interesting to try a black CA finish on certain types of woods.

Do any of you folks have any experience with it?

Tks, Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
But be careful, some of the black CA "stays flexible" which will cause issues. Make sure to get the version that fully hardens.

jskeen

That's why I use it to glue tubes into things that are prone to crack, like corian on slimlines, ebony, snakewood and some resins, if it's opaque, or painted dark inside, and I suspect it might want to crack. I figure that bit of flex might just save a blank from the crack monster, and really, the bond strength is not that critical between tube and blank, as long as it is consistent. Still just use thick ca on most stuff though. I get all my CA from Mannie.

Last edited:

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
For gluing tubes, it is awesome. For segmenting where it will be visible, and more importantly, a flexible foundation under your non-flexible finish, it could be an issue. For that purpose it might be better to get epoxy and color it with ebony dust or black paint or...

Happily, Mannie sells epoxy too.

GK

moke

What I really meant to say is what "black" version hardens like the reg CA we all use....this black CA sounds like it has really good possiblities!

Does Manny have it?
Moke

Top Bottom