"Black & Bling"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from campzeke

campzeke

Last week I sold a few items on Craigslist. One of the guys that bought something found out I make pens and asked if I would make one for him. I don't think I would have put this combination together on my own but now that I have done it, I really like it! The kit is a Princess and the blank is Aquapearl Jet Black both from PSI.

C&C always welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_4441.jpg
    IMG_4441.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_4445.jpg
    IMG_4445.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_4446.jpg
    IMG_4446.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 205
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I would have never thought of using 'Black' with that style pen, but having seen it, I believe that I will. It looks like you achieved a nice finish on that black surface! Nice job.

mecompco

I like the combination, and the workmanship looks great! The bling is a little much, but the colors are great. Think I'll make something similar. Back in the day I had a Mont Blanc in black and chrome that I loved (I'm still annoyed 20 years later that I lost it).

campzeke

I would have never thought of using 'Black' with that style pen, but having seen it, I believe that I will. It looks like you achieved a nice finish on that black surface! Nice job.

Thanks Steve, I knew the black would show every imperfection and blemish so I was very careful all the way through this one. I sanded both with the lathe running and laterally at every step of the way with 180, 220, 320, 400, 600, 1000 and 1500 grits. I then followed up with all 9 MicroMesh grits and finished by polishing 4X with PlastiX.

mikeschn

That's beautiful!!!

Mike...

Thanks Steve, I knew the black would show every imperfection and blemish so I was very careful all the way through this one. I sanded both with the lathe running and laterally at every step of the way with 180, 220, 320, 400, 600, 1000 and 1500 grits. I then followed up with all 9 MicroMesh grits and finished by polishing 4X with PlastiX.

jttheclockman

Hello Rick

This thread seems to be running in conjunction with Mike's black pen so I will make the same comments here more or less.

May I ask why it is you felt the need to sand that acrylic blank starting with 180 grit paper??? If I may make a suggestion, learn to use your tools better. Do not sand with woodworking sandpaper. You are just making so much more work for yourself needlessly. You are adding radial scratches that are so hard to get out. Any turning tool if properly sharpened will get you to the point of no sandpaper needed. I prefer to use a skew but other tools will do. If you need to sand then use automotive sand paper and wet sand. i would start with no less than 600 grit.

Now as I said in Mike's post this is my method and my thoughts and we all develop our own methods but you do need to work on your tool control and skip all that extra work. Acrylics is so much easier to turn and finish because you do not have to top coat. yes some acrylics are more finicky than others but again work out a method to deal with them. They may require some more sanding.

Good luck and the pen does look good from here.:)

vwa3guy

That's a sharp looking pen. I was just at Pennstate I dusties today because I had made my gf a pink princess pen and one of those tiny crystals had fallen out at some point. They didn't even ask any questions they just went and got a new clip and gave it to her.

Top Bottom