Black and White Ebony, Brazilian Cherry, & Marblewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SCustom

I ran across these "scraps" in a bin for $1.00 a pound.

I need to cut it all to size for bottle stopper blanks and pen blanks.

I want to stabilize it though afterward. I've never done it before.

Thanks for the information.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigguyZ

Mark,

There's several articles in the library I'd reccomend you read. You'll need a PVP first (Pressure/ vacuum Pot). I do my stabilizing using a plexitone solution (acetone and plexiglass). It's simply a matter of soaking the pieces in the solution and cycling between pressure and vacuum. Then take the pieces out and let dry for a while.

I see you're in the cities? My shop's in shambles at the moment, but once it's up and ready you're more than welcome to come by and see my setup.

Travis

BigguyZ

Well feel free to PM me when you're back in town! My shop should be up and running by then. In the meantime- enjoy the sun! I'm jealous- I slipped and fell on my back steps last night with all of the freezing rain we've gotten.

SCustom

I heard about the Metrodome. I thought to myself, "Too bad the Twins didn't just stay there. If open air was there only reason for Target stadium, the Metrodome would work now." Jk, I was pretty stunned to be honest. I was actually in Dallas, TX when it happened seeing a doctor. Which I thought was ironic considering that they're building their own new stadium that is causing trouble.

Anyways, it might take a little while until I'm back in the MSP area. I'm waiting on a second surgery for my back and am having trouble finding a surgeon that I trust. If you happen to know any really good neurosurgeons or orthopedic surgeons in the Twin Cities, please PM me with their info.

In the meantime I'm looking at info regarding building a pen turning shop/setup at my place in Minneapolis. I have a small shop here in South Florida, but it's big enough to have a 12" Craftsman drill press, a 9" bandsaw, a 12x16 lathe, bench sanders, a sliding miter saw, and more. My apartment in Minneapolis has space for maybe 1/8th of what I have in Florida. So, I'm trying to figure out how to retain the functionality without the space it takes up

Top Bottom