Bitter sweet moment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

I don't like boats. I don't like driving boats. I worked on boats for three years and detest working on boats. I cringed each time I paid insurance for something I used twice a year. So why is selling our boat bitter sweet? It was my father-in-law's boat. We sold his truck 4 years ago and my wife cried for quite a while. Sold his motorcycle 2 years ago and she cried. Sold the boat this morning and I'm feeling pretty sad. The old guy has been gone for 5 years but I took over his life. Running his shop, managing his business meticulously maintaining his boat because to do less would probably get me haunted. The best times I had with him was on that boat. It was the only place he could relax. At the dock everyone wanted his advice about every belch or gurgle their motor made. Once we launched you could see how happy he was to be on the lake.

My bank account will be happy about the money, and I won't miss the expense of owning a boat, but I will miss the boat and what it represented.

Had to get that off my chest.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I still have many of my parents things, far less significant than a boat, and they have been gone 11 years now. It's hard to let go.

Boat = Bring out another Thousand ...

Yeah selling off thing that you honestly don't need yet have history to you and family does, well, Suck... Yet what is really sadder still is a chair that was soooo precious (circa 1880's) that when I decided it was time to be sold off it wasn't worth the price of a new Lazy boy.

edicehouse

My grandfather was killed a few years ago, and I ended up with the stuff no one else wanted. My grandmother gave me some trains, my brother went and switched them out. The tools were given to other, most of the nascar stuff went to others. I was the one that did everything with him, but really got crapped on. The thing is I know what he would have wanted but let it go.

Be thankful that the stuff passed on to you was not stolen by others.

Top Bottom