Bit sizes for Jr. Gent/Jr. Statesman top tube

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a search and could not find an answer for this.

When I bought my HF 100,000,000 bit set I thought I would be set for any pen that came along...

The instructions for the Jr. Gent/Jr. Statesman call for a 12.5mm bit (.492). I miced the top tube; it comes in at .483 (12.27mm). Has anyone tried using a 31/64 (.4844 12.3mm) bit? If so, will it work or should I get the 12.5mm bit?

Thanks!

Edit in: To make matters worse, I want to use an acrylic blank. This means I will paint the inside of the blank and the tube.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kmab

Scott,

I too was confused and wrote them an email. Here is the reply:

I want to thank you for your email to us. The 10.5mm drill bit replaced the
27/64" drill bit that was originally listed for that kit. The drill bits
required for the Jr. Gentlemans pen is the 10.5mm drill bit and the 12.5mm
drill bit. I put the product number for the 12.5mm drill bit into the
search field on our website and it came up. I know that we have not yet
listed the 10.5mm drill bit online. If you would like to order those,
please feel free to give us a call and we will be happy to order those for
you. I hope this all makes sense. If you have any questions, please feel
free to contact us. Thank you again and have a nice day.

Sincerely,
Emily Clift
Customer Service Manager
Craft Supplies USA
1-800-551-8876

If the top tube is .483 and if you drill the blank at 31/64 (.4844) that is only about one thousandths clearance; a bit too tight for my taste considering two layers of paint and glue. You might try drilling a scrap and check the fit but I would go for the 12.5mm.

Let us know how it turns out.

P.S. I thought the same thing when I got the million bit set but now I also own a 10.5mm and 12.5mm along with a bunch more metric sizes.[:)]

thetalbott4

I have found few, if any, bits that CSUSA specifies that actually fit. They are always way too big. I have taken to drilling test holes for each kit and getting the tightest fit I can with my HF 100,000,000 piece bit set. Then I change the drill bit size on the instruction sheet so I can remember what the correct size is. So bottom line is test everything before drilling the blank, and correct as needed.

toolcrazy

Running that size through the Penventory cheat calculator and I got this result.

12mm (0.4724) (--0.0197)
31/64" (0.4844) (--0.0077)
12.5mm (0.4921) <--- Trying to match this one!
1/2" (0.5000) (+0.0079)
13mm (0.5118) (+0.0197)

Randy_

As I work on my Pen Reference Chart, I have been looking at recommended drill bit sizes as compared to tube diameters. The great majority of bit sizes range from 0.006" TO 0.011" over tube size. There have a few recommendations that are as much as 0.018" over tube size; but I suspect these are not good recommendations. I think you will find the 31/64" bit will be too tight; but you should try a test hole as you might have a bit that is slightly over sized. If you are not planning to do a lot of this particular kit, you could drill with a 31/64" bit and then do a little reaming or maybe open up the hole a hair with a round file. Failing that, your only choice would be to purchase a 12.5mm bit.

I think I need to go back and look at my data and pick out the kits that seem to have bit recommendations that are questionable and see what you guys have found from experience. I don't recall which kits they were; but I do know they were kits that I haven't worked with.

armyturner

I tried the 31/64th. It did seem too tight, to the poine that there would be very little room for glue. It probably wouldn't work with a painted tube. I am now using gorilla glue on that particular kit as it seems to center the tube when it expands better then the CA.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I can't find it on their web site, but Harborfreight has had a 29 piece(?) set of metric brad point bits for around $20.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by thetalbott4
<br />I have found few, if any, bits that CSUSA specifies that actually fit. They are always way too big. I have taken to drilling test holes for each kit and getting the tightest fit I can with my HF 100,000,000 piece bit set. Then I change the drill bit size on the instruction sheet so I can remember what the correct size is. So bottom line is test everything before drilling the blank, and correct as needed.

Except for the 12.5mm fiasco, CS is (usually) pretty accurate with the bit sizes reccomended. But note: this does not let them, or any pen supplier, off the hook for the nonsense of requiring non-standard weirdo drill bit sizes for their kits. As stated, the 10.5mm is now the reccomended and works well.

byounghusband

I have used the 31/64" bit and it worked for me. It WAS tight, but it worked. I have since ordered a 12.5mm bit and will try the test hole idea that Scott mentioned BEFORE I drill a blank for my next JR Gent. this weekend.

Woodlvr

Remember the post about CSUSA replacing the recommended bit with the 12.5mm for free for those that purchased the recommended bits from them. They even ship them for free.[:D]

Mike

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Here is a set of metric bradpoint bits through 13mm for $9.99 + $5 shipping.
http://www.alloutind.com/
Click on "Liquidation" and scroll down.

Randy_

Originally posted by Monty
<br />I can't find it on their web site, but Harborfreight has had a 29 piece(?) set of metric brad point bits for around $20.

Are you sure about that?? I have never seen metric bits offered for sale at HF. Some folks get confused because of the big set HF sells with different "types"(?) of bits; but that set only includes fractional bits, letter bits and wire gage bits....not metrics.

Randy_

<br />Here is a set of metric bradpoint bits through 13mm for $9.99 + $5 shipping.

Mannie: Thanks for that link. What a bargain!!!!!You can buy the whole set for little more than the individual 12.5 mm bit from CSUSA. I'm ordering a set as soon as I close out this post.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Originally posted by Randy_
<br />
<br />I can't find it on their web site, but Harborfreight has had a 29 piece(?) set of metric brad point bits for around $20.

Are you sure about that?? I have never seen metric bits offered for sale at HF. Some folks get confused because of the big set HF sells with different "types"(?) of bits; but that set only includes fractional bits, letter bits and wire gage bits....not metrics.

Randy, This was the site I got them from, not HF.

Randy_

<br />Here is a set of metric bradpoint bits through 13mm for $9.99 + $5 shipping.

I just placed an order with them and the automated ordering system would not calculate the $5.00 shipping charge....it wanted to charge me quite a bit more!! I called the 800 number but got only a recording. When they get back to me, I'll update everyone with the particulars.

Mannie: you might want to delete the earlier reference to HF so people don't get confused??

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
<br />I can't find it on their web site, but <s>Harborfreight</s>All Out Industries has had a 29 piece(?) set of metric brad point bits for around $20. (see post below)
edit - to correct company names

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
<br />I can't find it on their web site, but <s>Harborfreight</s> All Out Industries has had a 29 piece(?) set of metric brad point bits for around $20. (see my post below)
edited for company names

Randy_

A very nice lady from All Out Industries returned my call this morning and advised me they recalculate the shipping charges when the process the order. It wouldn't hurt to place a reminder in the comments box reminding them of the $5 offer if that is what you want. I expect it is for the slowest ground shipping. If you want it overnighted, you should select it in the shipping option and confirm same in the comment field.

She said the quantities on this item were limited so you should be prompt in your order if you want one.

Randy_

<br />I wanna say it was UPS, but don't hold me to that.
I just querried the UPS web site and a package from All Out to Texas is suppoosed to take about three days in transit and if you add a couple of days for the weekend, UPS ground should be 5-6 days. If your shipment took 2 weeks, there must have been a delay somewhere?? Even USPS Parcel Post Service, which is about the slowet thing going, claims to be 5-7 day service on their web site althouigh the guy at the PO counter said PP was more likely to be 10 days.

Randy_

My bits showed up Friday and were carried by Fedex.....6 business days. They are not real high quality bits(Chinese made); but are probably worth the $10 I paid. I would probably have been unhappy if I had paid the quoted retail price of $29.99. Haven't tried to use them yet as my DP is in pieces.....minor problem.....the depth stop is messed up and needs a little work.

I got my metric bit set in Thursday. All excited about finally being able to get started on my first Jr. Jents and Jr. Statesman's, last night I cut and drilled four blanks. I found the 12.5 mm hole is a nice fit. The 10.5 mm hole is too small!! [:(!] The tubes won't even fit. The lower tubes miced out at .400. My 100,000,000 bit chart shows me that the 27/64 bit is .4219 and the Z bit is .413. I ended up going with the Z bit for the lower tubes. I painted the inside of the blanks and sharpied the tubes. There is still room for glue. I am going to use epoxy and add color to it.

tas2181

Got the ones I ordered on Friday(yesterday)(seven days) and haven't had a chance to try them out yet. Not astounded by the quality but what can you expect for 10 bucks (15 with shipping)
Have some good German made bits in the standard 7, 8, and 10 mm - these just going to be used for those rare (getting to be less rare[}:)]) occasions when fractional, number, & letter sizes just won't do.

!@#$%^&*()!!! Two of the lower tubes in the kits are the wrong size! [:(!] I suspect they are cigar tubes. Anyone recently purchasing Jr. Gent or Jr. Statesman kits may want to check to make sure the tubes are the right size. I did not discover this until I had one of the tubes glued into a nice ambonya burl blank [:(].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom