Bit sizes, am I hoping for too much?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GrantH

I'm looking at the Berea Roundtop Euro kits as my next pen but I have a question on bit sizes and just how tight tolerances are on kits.

The Euro calls for a "V" bit, which is .3770". The Polaris Click, Vertex, Majestic Squire, and Executive all call for, on Penn State, a 3/8" which in decimal form is .3750".

Will the .002" really be that big of a deal, if at all? These are all kits i'd like to at least attempt, especially the Majestic Squire and Executive.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Actually, it COULD be the difference between fitting and NOT fitting.

My suggestion is to try the 3/8 bit and then simply "dry fit" the tube before glue up.
Since 3/8 is smaller than "v", you have caused not harm.

If the 3/8 hole is too snug to allow for easy insertion of the tube into the blank, simply sand the exterior of the tube or the inside of the blank until the fit is precise.

I seldom used the mfg's drill bit recommendations, but instead use a caliper for a more exacting fit .

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

GrantH

So in some form of fashion it "should" work? I wish I had the funds to order kits and then worry about bits, or buy a load of bits up front, but I'm still trying to overcome a few other lathe related purchases right now :). They are all worth it though!

PenMan1

You can make it work without damage. If you are drilling with a drill press rather than on the lathe, the 3/8 bit will like create enough run out that it will fit just fine.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Not a lot of risk

I'm drilling on the lathe, but I think i'll take my chances anyways. When these sell, I get my bandsaw :)
Machinest hole size [which depends to some degree on drill bit size] tolerance for that size bit are +.006 or - .001 hence you might well find a 3/8th and V bit that are the same actual size.

That being the case, unless you are working on something that requires extremely close tolerances [I personally don't think tube holes in pen blanks do.] 3/th should be just fine.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Buy a selection of round files---for chainsaws. (they are very reasonable---in Wisconsin)

Then you can always "expand" the hole a few thousandths.

leehljp

Member Liaison
So in some form of fashion it "should" work? I wish I had the funds to order kits and then worry about bits, or buy a load of bits up front, but I'm still trying to overcome a few other lathe related purchases right now :). They are all worth it though!

Grant,

If you run to Jackson on occasion, in Pearl there is a Harbor Freight. AT HF they have this set of bits on hand that will take care of a great number of pens, all but the larger ones.

This one for about $55.00 but often on sale for around $40.00
115 Piece Titanium Nitride Coated M2 High Speed Steel Drill Bit Set

This one for about $35.00
115 Piece High Speed Drill Bit Set with Index

ctubbs

Not to hi-jack this thread, but has anyone bought and used this set from HF? For the price I have had some doubts about quality. Should I go ahead and buy the Drill Doctor at the same time? Just wondering :rolleyes: and thank you.
Charles

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Not to hi-jack this thread, but has anyone bought and used this set from HF? For the price I have had some doubts about quality. Should I go ahead and buy the Drill Doctor at the same time? Just wondering :rolleyes: and thank you.
Charles
Had one for years. Usually worked ok for drilling wood, not too great drilling metal. I still use bits from it most of the time. It's fairly easy to break the small bit sizes.

Last edited:

GrantH

Charles
Had one for years. Usually worked ok for drilling wood, not too great drilling metal. I still use bits from it most of the time. It's fairly easy to break the small bit sizes.

I'll keep that in mind, and pick one up when i'm close. A 25% coupon would make that very much worth buying.

Why do you say the large ones will do us no good? Too large or just a bad bit to be using when drilling that large of a hole?

leehljp

Member Liaison

I'll keep that in mind, and pick one up when i'm close. A 25% coupon would make that very much worth buying.

Why do you say the large ones will do us no good? Too large or just a bad bit to be using when drilling that large of a hole?

I have had one for years also, actually two sets. One for use when I was in Japan and one for my US home when I was back here. I had to have one in each place.

AS to the larger size - I didn't phrase that right. The set only goes to 1/2 inch but there are a few pen kits that use a size larger than 1/2", If I remember correctly.

PenMan1

That $4 set of chainsaw files that Ed mentioned are considered a "must have" item in my shop. They are excellent for making "tiny" adjustments.

Smitty also has an excellent point about the specs for drill bits. That's the main reason I use a caliper instead of the mfg's bit recommendations.

A case in point; The mfg all recommend a 10.5 mm hole for the bottom tube of Jr Gent, Jr Statesman, Triton, Jr. Retro, Venus, Jr Majestic, Nuveau Secptor. The hole this bit leaves with NO run out is much bigger than those tubes from the beginning. Even drilling at 250 RPMs and painting the inside of the blank, and the tube and using Epoxy glue, the fit is much too sloppy for my liking. On the other hand, the 12mm bit called for on the top tube is such a tight fit that even after sanding tubes, it is almost impossible to back paint a blank and still fit in a tube.

The money you just saved on the "V" bit will almost buy a caliper. IMHO, at least ONE CALIPER IS ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL FOR QUALITY PEN MAKING.

Chris Bar

PENMAN1
Instead of the drill sizes they recommend, call Grizzly or your favorite brad point bit supplier, and order the 13/32 [$2.75] and 31/64 [$3.60] brad point bits; these work perfectly for the Jr. Gent and Statesman. I ended up ordering again so newly sharpened bits would always be available. Wish they carried the metric sizes...just learned that the "O" should be satisfied by the 8mm :redface:, after just getting the 7mm from PSI...darn shipping costs.

GRANT
And agree, try calipers on various brand 3/8-in bits...bet you can find one that is smaller to closely approximate the .002 smaller "V" bit.

Last edited:

crabcreekind

I'm looking at the Berea Roundtop Euro kits as my next pen but I have a question on bit sizes and just how tight tolerances are on kits.

The Euro calls for a "V" bit, which is .3770". The Polaris Click, Vertex, Majestic Squire, and Executive all call for, on Penn State, a 3/8" which in decimal form is .3750".

Will the .002" really be that big of a deal, if at all? These are all kits i'd like to at least attempt, especially the Majestic Squire and Executive.

Drill the hole in a peice of scrap wood and see if the tube fits

Top Bottom