Bishop, knight and king!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gpgsm

gpgsm

Three solid wood tables with turning legs and veneered chessboard!

4413832591_783d6489c4.jpg

4413833001_4ff08b0427.jpg

More photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpgsm/sets/72157623572604046/

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
THOSE ARE BEAUTIFUL!! How big are the squares??

As an AVID chess player, i was excited by the title. I have been working on turning a chess set for about the last 2 years. I think i may end up buying a duplicator one of these days.

P.S. Not that it matters for a photo, but we are actually looking at the sides of the two chess tables on the right. The one on the left is correct, the other two are sideways.

jttheclockman

Real nice work. Yes it is white to the right as they say an easy way to remember.

I remember one of my very first woodworking projects was a chess board built into an old wire reel. At one time long ago wire reel furniture was in. (don't laugh, it was). I used to get the wire reels for nothing being an electrician so I got into it. Made some money doing it too. Long long time ago though. I still have that table in my game room in my basement. I think I will take a photo because I lost any photos I had of it years ago. Has not seen much playing time because it has been a long time since I played. I loved that game. I have a set of plans for a scrollsaw table that I wanted to make but have not gotten around to it but there is still hope. It is a Dan and Ray Wilcken's plan and is fantastic.

Last edited:

Slyotter

As an AVID chess player, i was excited by the title. I have been working on turning a chess set for about the last 2 years. I think i may end up buying a duplicator one of these days.

P.S. Not that it matters for a photo, but we are actually looking at the sides of the two chess tables on the right. The one on the left is correct, the other two are sideways.

Thought you might like this article, friend of mine did a Kit chess set and did a kitless here. He explains how he made this dupicating tools as well, so might be something for you to keep costs down.
http://lumberjocks.com/projects/26795

Good luck with your Chess set!

Massimo GREAT work on the tables. I would love to get around to making a chess set and table for my house. Maybe when I retire from the Navy I will have the time and space.

Jerry

KenV

Neat -- (Light to the right and queen on her color -- the set up ditty from when I first learned to play at chess).

RAdams

Banned
Thought you might like this article, friend of mine did a Kit chess set and did a kitless here. He explains how he made this dupicating tools as well, so might be something for you to keep costs down.
http://lumberjocks.com/projects/26795

Good luck with your Chess set!

Massimo GREAT work on the tables. I would love to get around to making a chess set and table for my house. Maybe when I retire from the Navy I will have the time and space.

Jerry

thanks for the post! I have a woodturning friend named Chris Wright also(havent talked to him in a year or two tho).... He lives in sunny California.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Neat -- (Light to the right and queen on her color -- the set up ditty from when I first learned to play at chess).

Very good Ken that is the rest of that quote. That rattled a few cobwebs of mine. I knew it was in the back of the head somewhere but it has been so long so it was way back there. Great game though.

Me too... I'm not much of a chess player, but love chess sets... plan to do one soon... I was thinking..."alright, another chess set to look at" from your title

Very nice table too...

gpgsm

RAdams: the squares are 4cm x 4cm (the correct size was 5.5 cm x 5.5 cm but for me they are too big).

Now I need to make a chess set and after I need to learn to play with.

Thanks to everyone for the comments, I'm glad you like it.
Massimo

Rfturner

I have been looking at an ivory set at an antique shop that I do repairs for I was thinking about carving the matching pieces from some ebony but it would be so much work and money. They ivory pieces do look amazing though even if they are several hundred:eek:. I used to play all the time until one of my friends joind the Air force

elody21

Massimo,
Such beautiful work. I can't wait to see the chess set to go with the table. I have had a set started for about 5 years. Some day I'll get it done! Alice

Top Bottom