Birdsye And cherry Burl In The Same Day

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from adirondak5

adirondak5

I showed a friend some of my first pens and he was amazed , especially with the cherry burl I harvested and stabilized . A few days later he asked me if I could make him a few , he'd buy them , I told him I'd be happy too . Here's what I ended up making for him

Euro pen , brushed satin - birdseye
Sierra , gun metal - cherry burl
Bolt Action , gun metal - cherry burl
Bolt Action , gun metal - birdseye

E5ViShx.png

He attends a lot of regional conferences throughout the state as part of his work and said he'll show them around , so maybe this will help with the financing of my new addiction :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Well Done Herb,
Excellent Pens, Great Blanks.
Superb Fit and Finish.
Good luck with some future Orders.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Thank you Brian . The day I started turning those barrels started off rather badly with some other issues going on , when that unpleasantness was over I told my wife I am going down to the shop , I turned them all one after the other and finished and assembled them . It was a great way to clear my mind and relax in my own way , pen therapy you might say :)

Well done !!!! . I especially like the cherry.

Thank you Mal . That was my last blank of stabilized cherry burl , I sliced up some more and have it sitting and drying a bit more before I stabilize it .

Well , my friend got his pens , he was thrilled with them :). I need to make 6 more cherry burl bolt actions for his associates , he said they sold without question . To say I am thrilled would be a colossal understatement ! Good thing I've got some more stabilized ,I have been stabilizing more cherry burl blanks the last few days . He also asked permission to give out my contact info to interested parties . Hopefully this will be the start of something .
One barrel finished off the lathe , one finished on the lathe , I need to drill and glue up 4 more blanks and I'll get them turned tomorrow .

s2PJnyu.png

H2pMcT9.png

Newbie question that I have been dying to ask someone. How exactly does one "stabilize" a blank? Sorry for the idiot question

Newbie question that I have been dying to ask someone. How exactly does one "stabilize" a blank? Sorry for the idiot question

No such thing as an idiot question Luke , a few years ago I had no idea what stabilized wood was either . :wink:
Stabilized wood in the way I do it is infusing the wood with an acrylic resin by placing it in a vacuum chamber submerged in the acrylic solution (Cactus Juice) and applying vacuum until no more air is coming out of the wood . Then vacuum pump is turned off , vacuum released from chamber , the acrylic resin is then drawn into the wood relplacing the air that was vacuumed out . Then I place the wood in a toaster oven and cure the acrylic resin at 200* for about an hour and its done. I now have blanks that won't move , won't rot or decay , are stable , machine easily .
For a better explanation than I can give and some videos ,here's a link to TurnTex website

https://www.turntex.com/help-center/cactus-juice-stabilizing-resources

3 more Cherry Burl barrels turned and finished , had the 4th just about done and got a catch and blow out , tried fixing it but you can see the crack where it blew out so I'll have to glue up one more fresh blank

Hw9UdJr.png

No such thing as an idiot question Luke , a few years ago I had no idea what stabilized wood was either . :wink:
Stabilized wood in the way I do it is infusing the wood with an acrylic resin by placing it in a vacuum chamber submerged in the acrylic solution (Cactus Juice) and applying vacuum until no more air is coming out of the wood . Then vacuum pump is turned off , vacuum released from chamber , the acrylic resin is then drawn into the wood relplacing the air that was vacuumed out . Then I place the wood in a toaster oven and cure the acrylic resin at 200* for about an hour and its done. I now have blanks that won't move , won't rot or decay , are stable , machine easily .
For a better explanation than I can give and some videos ,here's a link to TurnTex website

Thanks! Looks like I need to go buy more toys

Your finish is perfect on these! Do I remember seeing that you use friction polish rather than CA?

Thanks Luke , yes , I do use Mylands Sanding Sealer followed by Mylands Friction Polish . I sand to 600 g and then use EEE on the barrels , then I clean them with naptha or DNA and micro mesh to 12000 , next they get a few coats of the sealer , followed by 6 or more coats of friction polish , final step is a good coat of carnuba wax . I'm no expert but this works good for me . Being in a basement shop I don't like using CA too much , the fumes are awful , I've done some finishing with CA but just prefer the sealer and friction polish . Some day that may change but for now that's my method .

Thanks! Looks like I need to go buy more toys

Ha ! Its a good way to make questionable wood workable and useful .
Not to sound like an ad man for Turn Tex but they are the place to deal with for that kind of gear IMO , fast , honest , and a great source of info .

Back
Top Bottom