birdseye maple i put on etsy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from crabcreekind

crabcreekind

i recently put this pen for sale on etsy. i am welcome to complements and critizism to help me out

Attachments

• beye1.jpg
    beye1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 245
  • beye2.jpg
    beye2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 209
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Way too fat and bulky. Needs to go on a diet in my opinion. May appeal to someone with arthritis or someone who needs a bulky pen but more sales will be had with slimmer more professional shaped pens. Look at your mount Blancs and other big name pens and you will not see shapes like this.

Ok you asked so I supplied with the bad news. The good news is the timber looks great and has a nice finish on it. Good luck with your sales.

low_48

I like them thinner as well. That clip must really be tight to the wood, and a little difficult to hook in your pocket. If you like thicker pens, why not try to make your own center bands from a contrasting wood. It won't look like the corset is sinched up so tightly that way.

bensoelberg

I would agree with the other two posters on the shape. I'm still relatively new here, but in the 7 months that I've been around, I've noticed that newer pen turners tend to begin with very large, pregnant shaped pens and then begin to thin them out. If you love the style, or (more importantly) have found a customer base that loves that shape, don't worry about it. I looked at your Etsy shop and your peppermills are great, I really like the different shapes that you've put on them. The finish on this bird's eye maple also looks great. Keep it up!!!

Lenny

Like others have said it's maybe "a little" pregnant!!! :eek::biggrin::biggrin:
However, I'll bet someone will love the look of it and want it.

I would urge you though, if you want to get a little creative with the slimline, throw out the centerband and have at it.
Check out Russ Fairfield's website for lots of good information in that regard. Particularly the "Russ-Line" and the "Fat-Line" ...
http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Pens.html

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
When I started making pens, I made shapes I found interesting. Sold a few, and made some a little more conventional--sold a lot more---suddenly, I LIKED conventional---it translated to GREEN so much more easily.

Your pens should please you, one way or another!!

Top Bottom