Birdhouse Ornaments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RogerGarrett

RogerGarrett

Sold a lot of these this season. Pic taken before birds were on them.

Attachments

• Birdhouse ornaments 1.jpg
    Birdhouse ornaments 1.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 340
  • Birdhouse Ornament cocobolo.jpg
    Birdhouse Ornament cocobolo.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 301
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BobGast

I really like those and hope to doing things like that. I am really new to wood turning and have to learn to be patient in developing my skills. I've attempted to do some things like that but they don't turn out too well. One of the problems is having quality wood. I have been practicing on whatever I have laying around and most of it has cracks in it from some tree branches that we cut down off of a tree that we planted for my 35 year old daughter. I don't want to spend a lot of money on wood that I might ruin before having gaining more experience. I will be joining the Chicago Association of Woodturners in January. Hopefully that will help.

jttheclockman

Rodger they came out very well. They are good sellers. I too make them and they have been good to me as well. There are so many ideas you can do with them also.

Bob they are not hard at all. There are plenty of videos on utube showing how people make different versions. After awhile you develop your own version and method and you can get into a production line of things. No need for expensive woods. Get some 2X4 material and glue some together and have at it. Buying a few 2X4 is a great way to practice any turning. Cheap enough and not hard wood to turn. Get to learn your tools is the key.

Here is one

Traditional Birdhouse Christmas Ornament.......No Vacancies

https://youtu.be/aO3AEsW2zGw

Last edited:

RogerGarrett

Bob - a way to stabilize the multiple woods is to glue them together (roof and body) and then drill a 7 mm hole through them and glue in a pen tube (you can purchase super long 7 mm tubes from Crafts USA). Then, square them off and turn them on a mandrel. You can add finials after the roof and body are done.

Roger

RKB

Really nice ornaments, wonderful assortment. Looks like somebody has been very busy. Question: How is the wire hanger installed into the top of the ornament?

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Rod

RogerGarrett

Really nice ornaments, wonderful assortment. Looks like somebody has been very busy. Question: How is the wire hanger installed into the top of the ornament?

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Rod

A very good question. I use this from Hobby Lobby:

2mm Nickel End Springs | Hobby Lobby | 477943

I drill the appropriate sized hole (9/16? Can't recall) in the top finial and then glue the spring in below the level of the top coil.

Top Bottom