Birch Bark Rod Handle

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dana Fish

Dana Fish

Just wanted to share one of my recent projects. Here is a Birch bark handle with Rosewood burl trim pieces.
The handle measures 6.75 inches and is finished with 6 coats of Linseed oil and CA.

I appreciate your comments.

IMAG0263-1.jpg

IMAG0265-1.jpg

Cheers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greggas

Wow, very cool. Not to sound stupid ( I now too late) but is that birch bark stack laminated? What type of glue did you use...very interesting, thanks for sharing

Dana Fish

The birch bark was striped of from fallen trees I had behind my parents house and after a thorough rinsing with the garden hose I set them out to dry. I recommend pressing them flat as they dry to keep them easier to work with in the future.

I used Titebond 3 in between each sliver of birch bark and them pressed with a wood clamp. When finishing the handle I used several coats of Linseed oil before applying 6 layers of thick CA. Sanded with 320 up to 1500 wet.

Dana Fish

Here are a few pictures from my learning expereince with cutting birch bark. Now I simply cut them square, glue and then turn on the lathe.

Thought I would share for those interested.

FLAT SHEET OF BIRCH

Picture028.jpg

BIRCH RING CUT OUT
Picture025.jpg

RINGS AND 1.5" HOLE CUTTER
Picture032.jpg

A SINGLE BIRCH RING
Picture034.jpg

In my expereince with making these handles it take between 65-80 rings to make a 6.5-7 inch fly rod handle.

Hope you enjoy

PaulDoug

I had that experience with leather for pens. Easier to cut squares on the band saw and turn them after gluing than cutting circles or in my case punching out circles. I really like the look you have there and thanks for sharing. If I had the bark I'd try it for a pen and I also think it would make a beautiful little box.

Darn, I had a bunch of that bark and burned it because I didn't know what to do with it. I am just in awe of what you did.

Last edited:

Curtis

i thought tat was rattan till i looked at the end of the thread. i really like it, its very nice i wish i had some of those trees around my house. this is a rattan grip i did for a 6-7wt fly rod i did about 2 years ago. the picts were taken befor the finish was put on

Attachments

• rods 076.jpg
    rods 076.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,079
  • rods 077.jpg
    rods 077.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,031
Top Bottom