Big safety reminder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elkhorn

I was sitting at my workbench and sanding some brass tubes for about 10 of a kit that I use. I normally use an angle sander at a low speed and rotate the tubes on 80 grit paper (probably not the best way, but it beat just doing it my hand).

Later I was sitting down with my wife reviewing our day and I noticed a spot on my glasses. They're a reading/close up pair made with safety lenses. To my surprise, it was not a spot, but a chip taken out and a crack running from the chip to the end of the lens. This was the last thing I expected from a low speed sanding of some brass tubes.

I just want to remind everyone that, please, make sure you always have some sort of eye protection on in the shop, even if you don't think you might need it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodkiller

I paid extra for the impact resistant lenses for my prescription glasses and it has saved me a few times. I have had them replaced twice, but that is a small inconvenience compared to not having them on. I know this because I have had eye surgery twice to remove foreign object. :frown:

First thing I do when I walk in is put on my glasses. when I turn its a face shield over the glasses for added protection.

Me too... I use a pair of reading glasses to see up close and a shield over them... I've already taken a bowl in the face twice (guess I'm a slow learner?)

I also have a pair of safety glasses that I wear to mow... next I'm going to have to get safety shoes... I slipped off the hill behind my house and my foot went under the mower... lost half the toe nail on my big toe and the top of my shoe... could have been much worse.... more of a scare than injury, but this will make for the 4th nail I've had to grow on that foot over the past 70+ years.

jimm1

To get to my garage shop from the house, one must go through our laundry room. In there, I have small bucket containing safety glasses. My family members know that if they hear any machine going, they do not enter the shop area without putting the glasses on.

plantman

I always wear my perscription safety glasses with side shields. If turning something questionable, I add the full face shield over them. The side shields are very important in protecting your eyes from objects bounceing at you from odd angels,or even dust in the air. As for cleaning tubes, I have a grinder set up with a fine wire wheel on one side and a medium brass wheel on the other. The brass wheel will also leave micro grooves in the tubes for better gripping power for your glue to blank bond. Jim S

Last edited:

scotian12

Sometimes these things come back to haunt you. 45 years ago I was doing some rust clean up on a car using a powered wire brush. About a week later rust spots showed up in my eyes. The doctor flushed the eyes and all was well. This past week I went into the hospital for an MRI. One of the questions on a form was had I ever had metal in my eye. The MRI technical refused to do the MRI until I had an optical X-ray. Fortunately I was in the care of a competent Para medical who argued my case and in the end it was my decision to have the MRI. I have been wearing eye protection and a respirator in my shop for the past twelve years since I first started turning pens.

TonyL

Excellent reminder, and despite wearing prescription glasses, I need to heed it. Thank you.

Dan Masshardt

I've been surprisingly consistent at wearing safety glasses.

Incidentally, somewhere along the way I stopped sanding tubes and have no plans to go back having zero glue failures as a result.

Back when I used to do Flint knapping, the gent who taught me showed that sometimes a gentle strike will provide a better chance in removing a flake than a heavy handed one. as he was making an arrow head from a piece of "heavy bottle bottom" Glass

elkhorn

Dan, you raise a good question. I was taught to sand the tubes, but I don't do it with painted tubes. Does anyone else just glue the tubes in without sanding them?

kingkeyman

I always forget to put them on until I get hit in the face with something.I hope that changes before it's too late!

kovalcik

I recently got a pair of prescription safety glasses. Best thing I have done. I keep them right by the door of my shop. Now whenever I go into the shop, I swap my regular glasses for the safety lenses. I can see much better since the lenses are better quality and I am not stacking up glasses and safety glasses. Also much more comfortable to wear. Mine ended up being around $200 from my eye doctor with 3M brand frames and progressive lenses.

Only downside is that when I forget I have them on and wear them into the house my daughters laugh at my fashion sense. (But what else is new?)

Top Bottom