Big Grip Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pauljas

I want to try turning a fountain pen for a Christmas gift. My question for the group is what kits have nice big/thick grips? I recently turned a flat top kit pen and the finger grip is a little on the thin side. My plan is once I find a kit I like, I can turn some fountain pens and rollerball pens (my preference).

Thanks for your help.

Paul

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David M

there is a big ben fountain, its a pen that is a larger fountain but one that i did not like.the threads on the upper end isnt a good fit or the two i made wasnt. other than a majestic , some of the jr size pen has a good feel....

Dan_F

My favorite would be the El Grande or Churchill series. Nice substantial grip, and not too heavy. I can't use the smaller ones for any length of time, nor the big heavy Gent or Statesman.

Dan

pauljas

My favorite would be the El Grande or Churchill series. Nice substantial grip, and not too heavy. I can't use the smaller ones for any length of time, nor the big heavy Gent or Statesman.

Dan

Those are looking pretty good. The other suggestions actually look a bit on the big side.

Right now, I am considering:
the Churchill/El Grande as suggested
Rienhart (bear tooth)j
Vail (Bear tooth)
Majestic (PSI)

ldb2000

Of the choices you have there , the only ones with a large grip are the El Erande and the Churchill . The others all have medium sized metal grips and are all heavy metal pens . The Majestic is the largest and is a very large pen , still one of my faorite kit pens though .
The El Grande/Churchill are also large pens but very light for their size with a comfortable balance .

pauljas

Of the choices you have there , the only ones with a large grip are the El Erande and the Churchill . The others all have medium sized metal grips and are all heavy metal pens . The Majestic is the largest and is a very large pen , still one of my faorite kit pens though .
The El Grande/Churchill are also large pens but very light for their size with a comfortable balance .

Do the plastic parts make the pen seem "cheap?" I think that is part of what was drawing me to some of the metal grip kits above. I do appreciate what you say about the comfort/balance. The cigar kits I turned seem heavy!

ldb2000

I think they are nice pens , not cheap but not heavy either . The El Grande looks very similar to a vintage Parker Duofold , both in size and weight and has a similar balance . The kits with the metal sections , in my opinion , are too heavy to write with for very long .

pauljas

thanks for that input, I like the flat top of the El Grande better than the round top of the Chruchill and will probably place an order this evening.

Top Bottom