Big Brother on the internet?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

I notice you are using Joomla too. I tried, but the learning curve was just too steep for this old dog. :) I used to use Frontpage 2003, but that has gone the way of the dinosaur, so now I use Webplus X4. I like the look of Joomla, and I even contacted a local person to see if she could build me a site, and she could, for $2900.:eek:
Yep.. You are correct. Using Joomla and virtuemart for a base, it is possible to build a site like Dawns. However, making major 'custom' modifications is risky both from testing and upgrading to newer versions. Therefore it is best to stick to the developed and tested functions whenever possible, especially in key areas.

toddlajoie

I haven't ready any other replies, but figured I may have a different take on it than most people (I'm VERY early 40's by the way...)I tend not to be bothered too much by e-mails, since they are easy to ignore or delete (or create an auto-delete rule if it is habitual, I have many of these..) but I do know the types of e-mails you are discussing, and my perspective on it is I mind it FAR less for smaller sites, and FAR more for larger buisinesses. From you folks I would see it as a "just checkin in and by the way" sort of friendly gesture, however, I do go in PSI's site quite often and use my "cart" to store things I'm looking at and thinking about, and apparently when that cart gets old they send you a reminder e-mail, and from them I see it as sort of a "pushy salesman" action. So I guess my perspective is that it is very "Big Brother-ish" from big businesses, making me think they have a bunch of people in some foreign country watching what I do on the site, but from smaller, more friendly/personal sites, I see it as a helpfull shopkeeper's customer service.

JohnU

I'll add my $.02 to the mix. I assume "big brother" is watching some how or another and dont mind. Im buying pen making supplies. I often look over a site and accumulate at cart to see a total with shipping before I open another window and try the same some where else to compare. I usually empty the car before I move one but sometimes it doesnt happen. I can say I now purchase about 90% of my supplies from EB but I probably dont make as many pens as most of you. If I were a new customer and asked to log in before I look, I would probably leave. I dont mind if they see where I am looking, its to their advantage if they want to watch so they can better the site and business.

Ed, as for coupons... no problem on my blanks. I dont worry about discounts. Whatever works for you guys. You guys are doing all the work listing, selling, packaging. Besides, its all good for business. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom