Best wood to simulate a cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaRed

I want to turn a pen that looks similar to a cigar. What is the best colored and figured wood to simulate the look of a cigar. My boss is a cigar freak and bonus time is fast approaching. I need something that will butter him up so he will give me a big bonus so I can spend more money on pens.

Just looking for some opinions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dexter0606

Chris
I've had my best luck using a Claro Walnut. I've attached a couple of pic's. First one is a Churchill rollerball, the second is a Cigar kit

Jeff

Attachments

• pen 55.jpg
    pen 55.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 248
  • pen 56.jpg
    pen 56.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 255

dexter0606

Chris
BTW, if your looking at making a "cigar" pen out of wood without having to cast clear resin around a tube it's pretty easy.
I finish the pen and sand it and then apply a couple of coats of CA. Then glue the cigar band in place, also using CA. You'll have to trim the ends of the band to meet and not overlap. Then with the lathe turning slowly apply a quick coat of thick CA, then a second. You only want to run a couple of passes with the CA. Then apply BLO / CA finish as you normally would. It takes me about 12 coats to fill in enough so the edge of the band can't be felt. A quick plastic polish and you're done.
As beautiful as the cast pens look, I find this method much easier.

Jeff

CaRed

Thanks for the many ideas. When I posted, this is what I wanted. Many different ideas and strategies. I had never considered leather as an option. I wouldn't have to worry about wet leaves or brittle dry leaves during casting (But I have never cast before either). I never thought of casting a real cigar either. The only thing I am trying to accomplish is that it looks like a cigar but is a pen not the other way around. There was a posting a while back with a pen closed on both ends that looked much like a cigar. That is the idea I am borrowing.

Originally I was considering a Panache kit since the cap does not overlap but is even with the pen section. The finish on the pen would be satin not the usual glassy. I was going to place the cigar ring over the section where the cap and pen meet so there is nothing visible. I know the ring will disappear if he ever uses the pen but it was just for the initial presentation in my mind anyway. I don't smoke them and am not exposed to them (cigars) often so I wasn't sure if there was a figured wood that might be a good replica for a cigar. I like the color of walnut.

Thanks for all the good ideas. I may try a few of these ideas and see if I can sell a pen to the owner of the cigar shop around the corner.

RAdams

Banned
I have some Bubinga that looks a little cigarish. You could also use just the leaves.

Cut a cigar lengthwise with a razor blade. Carefully dump the insides into the trash / pipe tobacco pouch / fireplace, etc. etc. Cut the formed part of the cigar off and discard. then CA glue the cigar casing to the tube from underneath. Then trim up the ends and coat with lots of CA. OR... you could layer the leaves so it doesnt take as much CA for the finish. The only bad part to that way is that the leaves will look a bit darker.

As a cigar smoker myself, I think it would impact me more if the overlap on the band, and the edges of the band could be felt. Of course, as a penmaker, You want to make the surface completely free of all defects and imperfections, but as a replica of a cigar, i personally, would like it more if you could feel the band.

I'm not really familiar with the panache kit, but if it has no visible metal around the center, or at least limited metal, then it would look really really cool! I know some of the custom kitless work shown here has no visible metal at the center, but that would be alot of work for a freebie pen... Unless the bonus was big enough!!! lol

GoodTurns

I just picked up several tobacco plants (now drying in my shed) that I will use the leaves to wrap a turned barrel, load with CA and polish up....we'll see how it goes in a couple of months when it's dry and ready! If it works well, i will put leaves up in the classifieds.

Top Bottom