Best Spanish dvd?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I'm looking to try to learn Spanish - it's not a common language up here (French and English), but it would be beneficial for traveling (and I love learning new things).

Does anyone have a good recommendation for an excellent Spanish language program? I've heard that Rosetta stone is great, but it's very expensive...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I was researching language learning technologies for the kids who are having to take it in school. Duolingo has been proven to be faster/better than RosettaStone, which was the best of the CD-based systems. They don't have as many language choices, but they do have the "main ones" people seem to want to learn.

GK

I havn't really tried it much yet, but I came across this:

Duolingo | Learn Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Italian and English for free when I saw a really cool video about it. The guys behind is are also the same group I think that did re-capta.

It seems like a pretty innovative way to learn - Its not a dvd like you asked, but it is a language learning tool - and its free.

Dean

I used the Pimsleur method. It's the only one I have ever tried. The first set is 4 CD's and as you progress you can buy expanded sets. It teaches you in a more conversational way. You learn phrases. It worked well for me. As a disclaimer, the reason I tried this one is because I know the son of the person who came up with this system.

monark88

Sounds good, but you have to practice it in a conversational setting with a Spanish speaking person. I did the cassettes, which are ok, but total immersion at U of Texas, Arlington, was the only way I finally learned to converse.

Watch as many Spanish language TV shows and movies that you can. But, thats me, it could be easier for you.

Good luck, Russ

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Sounds good, but you have to practice it in a conversational setting with a Spanish speaking person. I did the cassettes, which are ok, but total immersion at U of Texas, Arlington, was the only way I finally learned to converse.

Watch as many Spanish language TV shows and movies that you can. But, thats me, it could be easier for you.

Good luck, Russ

Good idea - but finding Spanish TV is not easy up here - French is no problem, but Spanish is harder to come across! I'll have to look on the internet...but in about a year, after I get the basics down! :)

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I used Duolinga to get started. I work with a few cuban's which helped me progress pretty fast. You'll find that the language is very fast at first. Just listen and listen. It will come natural after a little bit.

Top Bottom