Best places for figured wood.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick_1853

Ok everyone. I'd like to get a list of where everyone is getting there pen blanks, especially burls etc.

Thanks,
Patrick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
One more time I'd like to ask the moderators to consider a slight configuration change to the site. This question deserves it's own category...along with one for "Kits", "Finishes" and "Blank Material". It would make the forums so much easier to navigate...but then, maybe I'm the only lame one here. [8D]

tipusnr

DCB may have a point but I kind of like the free-flowing nature of this site. But then I read ALL the postings ALL the time. Others may not have the inclination nor the time to do that.

But then 90% of the organization is dependent upon the members NOT the moderators. Kind of the GIGO thing!!

ilikewood

Like Doghouse says, E-bay can be quite good. Got to be selective though and read the feedback!!

CSUSA sells good burl pen blanks and so does PSI (even though they have so-so kits, I have had quite a bit of luck with their woods).

Forgot- I haven't personally bought from him, but Bill Baumbeck (Arizona Silhouette) is well talked of in the pen blank world.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
For stabilized burls you can't get better than Bill Baumbeck... for ivory wood you go to Ryan at Woodturningz...
For the rest of the good stuff, you can find some great buys on eBay.. but watch out for the shipping costs.. they can make a good deal a nightmare.. some sellers punch up the shipping cost to make up for the low prices they expect to get..
Of course good old horse trading with other members of the site works real well...
And if you are looking for great cocobolo.. talk to Bill (ilikewood).. he has the best cocobolo I have ever seen..

wayneis

Griz, I second everything that you said. No one will ever be disapointed with the wood they buy from either Bill, ilikewood or Baumbeck or Ryan at woodturningz. I just don't get any better. I would like to mention Steve & Carol White at River Ridge Products, they have a very good selection of Dymondwood and also have some very nice stabilized woods local to Wisconsin. They also will stabilize wood for you if you come across some nice stuff on ebay or whatever. I'm getting a shipment ready to send out to them as we speak. They are priced very resonable for their stabilization too, I don't think you will beat them on their pricing for stabilizing.

Wayne

G

A walk in the woods?
Those tough ones next to the splitting pile that you don't want to tackle?Off cuts from a cabinet shop?
The tree in the back yard?
Saw mill?

William Young

I'm with Bill "Tip"
My vote is for leaving the forum the way it is. Lots of good exchanges of knowledge happening and I also read almost every one. But then if you snooze you loose so hopefully the same topic comes up a little later and there is always a little different slant on topics to make it more interesting.

Also with Eaglesc.
Let everybody you know you are making pens and looking for small pieces of local and exotic wood. I recently had a cabinet maker give me enough of a dozen different kinds to keep me going for years and that narrows down the amount of ones that I need to buy for differnt species. I gave him a purpleheart pen for his kindness and now he is saving me all his scraps. The pen I gave him came out a chunk of purpleheart that he has previously given me which yeilded 15 blanks.
Dont know why but purpleheart is one of my best sellers around here.
I don't particularly care for it in a pen when compared with some others but I'll always keep a few on hand as long as they are being accepted..

Oh yes, and don't forget your neighbors cherry tree or whatever nice tree he might have with pretty wood. But be carefull up in his tree at 4.00 in the morning with your hand saw and flashlight. You wouldn't want to wake him or his dog up. [:D]
W.Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom