Best pencil kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoatRider

The Schmidt Parker replacement is good, but it's kinda weird having a "twist to click" action that takes getting used to. Plus you don't have an eraser.

I haven't found a mechanism that is more practical for daily writing than the Pentel Quicker Clicker. But that seems like it would be really tough to adapt to a hand-made pencil, since the side-click mechanism is really part of the external shell.

One that I'm trying is the Sierra click pencil from Berea. Actually I got it from Woodcraft so it's called a Wall Street II. It looks like it's a pretty standard .5mm click mechanism. And it has a pop-off cap under the click with an eraser. I'll be turning that one this afternoon.

My favorite mechanism ever was the Pilot "shaker" pencil. It has a sliding weight inside, you just have to shake it to advance the lead. I thought it was discontinued, but I just found it on Amazon. I should buy a couple and see if I can adapt the mechanism to a hand-made pencil. IIRC, the mechanics separate completely from the plastic shell, so it should be doable.

keithbyrd

The Schmidt Parker replacement is good, but it's kinda weird having a "twist to click" action that takes getting used to. Plus you don't have an eraser.

I haven't found a mechanism that is more practical for daily writing than the Pentel Quicker Clicker. But that seems like it would be really tough to adapt to a hand-made pencil, since the side-click mechanism is really part of the external shell.

One that I'm trying is the Sierra click pencil from Berea. Actually I got it from Woodcraft so it's called a Wall Street II. It looks like it's a pretty standard .5mm click mechanism. And it has a pop-off cap under the click with an eraser. I'll be turning that one this afternoon.

My favorite mechanism ever was the Pilot "shaker" pencil. It has a sliding weight inside, you just have to shake it to advance the lead. I thought it was discontinued, but I just found it on Amazon. I should buy a couple and see if I can adapt the mechanism to a hand-made pencil. IIRC, the mechanics separate completely from the plastic shell, so it should be doable.

I made the WS II pencil the other day - I like it much better than the slimlines I have made.

Top Bottom