Best Paint to cast over

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reddwil

What paints are using to paint tubes that work best when casting objects with PR? Some say testors, High heat spray paints etc.. Whats working the best for you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I've used Rustoleum Primers. I wanted to color the tube not make it bright and shinny. I also found out the hard way that you need to let the paint cure. It may be dry to the touch in a few hours but it will take days to fully cure. If not cured it will wrinkle and lift from the tube. Good luck

jbswearingen

Kenny is correct about letting it cure long enough; been there, done that.

I like using Tester's spray paints, but will probably start using Rustoleum because it's so much cheaper. Black is black, as white is white, and they both cure the same.

Bowl Slinger

"I've used Rustoleum with mixed results. Use finger nail polish. It comes in a wide range of colors and its CA compatible as well as PR compatible."

Ditto to what Kevin said. Living in a house that has 2 stylish women in it I find it easy to swipe bottles of nail polish in just about any color that I can imagine. The best part about it is that the finish is cured in an hour and ready to go.

Kenny Durrant

Fingernail polish cures in an hour. That's good to know. I will surely try it the only thing is I don't want a glossy finish. What do you do about that if anything. Thanks

Russianwolf

I've gotten in the habit of baking the paint for an hour after its dry to the touch. Temp about 150 degrees or so, nothing too hot.

PR will eat some paints regardless if they are not top coated with a clear. I use spray lacquer for that (Deft, baked dry also) with good results. But then I switched resins completely (West systems epoxy) and still use the same techniques and have not had another failure.

Top Bottom