Best Mid-Range Budget Fountain Pen Kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thawkins87

I'm going to try making a few fountain pens for Christmas gifts this year, and I was wondering if y'all have any recommendations for a mid-range budget kit, maybe $15-$20. Also, every kit I've done so far has been ballpoint or rollerball - are there any things I need to be aware of or look out for with a fountain pen?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stuckinohio

There is absolutely no difference in making a ballpoint/rollerball pen as opposed to a fountain pen, as long as you are making a kit pen. So you are good to go there!

I like the Citizen and the Jr. Gent II.

Beautys_Beast

Stay away from the "clip on" cap. although probably the cheapest kit, it takes more fiddling with it to get it just right. The Vertex Supreme, and the Tycoon, from PSI are around $15.00. As well as the Magnetic Graduate, which will amuse them for hours with just taking the cap on and off.

Noot17

I like the Sedona and Baron kits. They use the same bushings and are for small/medium hands. They have a lot of finishes and RB or FP. $11-20 depending on finish.

One thing I've noticed that is different in making fountain pens is that it takes more care when you're assembling to make sure everything lines up correctly. Maybe I'm the only one, but on most pens there is a certain part of the grain I like more, and I want that facing up when I'm writing, so with a fountain pen you have to test the thread line up before you push everything together to make sure the nice grain doesn't end up pointing down when you're holding the FP.

TonyL

I bought many of the Vertex Sups per mg's advice. I an just not crazy about the FP nib. I understand it may be a 5.5 size and I can't find replacements. Any ideas?

I also keep in my that the Sedona's and Churchill's are not postable which doesn't bother me or my clients.

bmachin

Tony,

Mild correction: Churchills certainly are postable. They just use a friction fitting rather than a threaded one.

Bill

Mr Vic

I'll suggest going with a Triton Convertible. Unless you know the precipitant is a FP user the gift may go unused. The triton Convertible is bot FP and roller ball. Two pens in one...

TonyL

Tony,

Mild correction: Churchills certainly are postable. They
just use a friction fitting rather than a threaded one.

Bill

Thank you! I didn't know that. Sorry for misinforming others.

I like the Triton and the Churchill. The Churchill looks great but is a little light and uses plastic pieces giving it a less than premium feel, the Triton has a higher quality feel to it but costs about 5 bucks more. I've made the regular Vertex which seems to come loose a lot but is still my go to pen at work although I'd never consider selling one, and the el Grande, which feels very light and cheap but looks nice. There's also an upgraded Churchill which replaces the plastic pieces (CB, finial, etc) with higher quality parts, but the name of the kit and the vendor escape me right now.

Top Bottom