Best Lathe Height ??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreggR

I received my first wood mini-lathe this week and am itching to get started on a pen kit.

Stupid new guy question... what's the best height for the lathe? I want to think the spindle should be at or slightly below my elbow level... would this be correct?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

according to an ergo thing I read once at elbow level. I have mine quite a bit above my elbow and I find it a little easier on my back.

Ron Mc

I run two lathes at elbow height for comfort. It seems to help cut down on the fatigue factor as well.

dubdrvrkev

Ditto to what most have said. Also, I find if you do any hollowing you will like a little extra height. I am always leaning over when I hollow stuff trying to look in or blowing out chips.

Rifleman1776

Whatever is comfortable for you. I am only about 5'8" but raised my full-sized Grizzly 4" so I wouldn't stand hunched over. Do a search, this has been cussed and discussed several times in the past.

fuzzydog

Wood Mag. did an article on this subject and like many comments "elbow" is recommended. Greatest strength area is waist to elbow. Above elbow is called the "detail" area (an area between elbow and shoulder) So find what "fits" you.
As you tell no one is giving a dimension only a reference to their comfort level.

GreggR

Thanks everyone! I used it above elbow level - thinking I might have a better view of what's happening (some middle-age won't buy bifocals guy thing). It wasn't real comfortable... but of course it was my first turning project, so I found myself a number of times with white knuckles on the right hand, so I'm not sure any height would have felt that great! [:D]

I'll make a stand for it that is at elbow level with some adjustment in the height.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom